Loksound V4 21 pin Decoder DC operation?

Revolution Mike B

• RMweb Gold

I've just finished installing a Loksound V4 21 pin Sound Decoder in a Bachmann 37 and it's doing some strange things on DC operation.

Firstly, the headlights refuse to work. I've checked that I've reconnected the wires round the right way (orange/red/brown) and they're fine. I've removed the switches due to fitting a bass reflex speaker in the tanks so I know that the cab/tail lights won't function.

Secondly, when I turn the power knob on the DC controller, the loco sound goes through the start up procedure and remains stationary, then pulls away with the sound in acceleration mode. The sound doesn't follow the controller as I was told it would do.

Does the chip need reprogramming?

Cheers

Mike

I've just finished installing a Loksound V4 21 pin Sound Decoder in a Bachmann 37 and it's doing some strange things on DC operation.

Firstly, the headlights refuse to work. I've checked that I've reconnected the wires round the right way (orange/red/brown) and they're fine. I've removed the switches due to fitting a bass reflex speaker in the tanks so I know that the cab/tail lights won't function.

Secondly, when I turn the power knob on the DC controller, the loco sound goes through the start up procedure and remains stationary, then pulls away with the sound in acceleration mode. The sound doesn't follow the controller as I was told it would do.

Cheers

Mike

Am I reading this right or is that 'it is doing strange things on DC operation'?

Cheers

Mike

Perhaps best to check with the supplier of the Loksound V4 re DC ? running/sound issues. If the marker's as well as the headlights don't work, I'd check that the contacts at each nose end are not bent etc and not making proper contact.

• RMweb Gold

Am I reading this right or is that 'it is doing strange things on DC operation'?

Correct - I was told that in DC mode the loco sound should follow the the controller and that it would run as normal but without the obvious addition of certain sounds. When running on DC, it goes through the start up process, following with the horn, then compressor, brakes off and goes in to hard acceleration, while the loco itself, doesn't move at all until the acceleration sound take place. 

The tail lights won't work as I've not connected them but the headlights should still be operational in the direction of travel.

I got the decoder from Coastal DCC so I'll give Kevin a call tomorrow.

Correct - I was told that in DC mode the loco sound should follow the the controller and that it would run as normal but without the obvious addition of certain sounds. When running on DC, it goes through the start up process, following with the horn, then compressor, brakes off and goes in to hard acceleration, while the loco itself, doesn't move at all until the acceleration sound take place. 

The tail lights won't work as I've not connected them but the headlights should still be operational in the direction of travel.

I got the decoder from Coastal DCC so I'll give Kevin a call tomorrow.

There has been some threads on here about running DCC sound decoders on DC and the upshot was that these are sophisticated and expensive decoders that are not really designed to give of their best on DC power.

The decoder is not receiving any DCC commands so will revert to a programmed mode that you have no control over. Only by using a DCC controller will you discover the delights of DCC sound and reach the full potential of your sound decoder.

There are innumerable threads on this forum as to which DCC command stations/throttles are 'best' but in general the cheaper ones are not really capable of giving the best result. You want one that will support up to function 28 and has at least 1 amp rating ( you can never have too much power, only too little ) and IMHO it is a Godsend to have a throttle display that tells you which functions are on or off.

Archived