Triang winston churchill

Hi everyone :) Just wondering if anyone can help yesterday i picked up a mint triang winston churchill got it home and serviced it and found it has a smoke generator that work's ! The generator has triang on the top of it with two small bungs the smokebox end and a hole in the centre under the chimney.

I was wondering where do i fill it up now i picked the suethe smoke oil today and how much oil do i put in it?

Sorry for what may seem a simple question i just don't want to ruin it seem's it all work's still !

Thank's mark

Hi everyone :) Just wondering if anyone can help yesterday i picked up a mint triang winston churchill got it home and serviced it and found it has a smoke generator that work's ! The generator has triang on the top of it with two small bungs the smokebox end and a hole in the centre under the chimney.

I was wondering where do i fill it up now i picked the suethe smoke oil today and how much oil do i put in it?

Sorry for what may seem a simple question i just don't want to ruin it seem's it all work's still !

Thank's mark

Seuthe smoke oil is fine, the Churchill has a big reservoir so using a pipette or syringe you can put in around ten drops.The Synchrosmoke mechanism uses an absorbent wadding to retain the oil. The original instructions had the oil inserted down the chimney but on most Triang smoke fitted engines I tend to remove the body so I can get it in exactly the right place, however the Churchill has such a large chimney aperture that it can be done body in situ quite easily. The model needs to be run quite fast to produce a reasonable amount of 'smoke'.  

Goodness, that has brought back a nice memory. My dad brought one of these home for our layout in the mid 60's, with several spare sachets of smoke oil. We were the envy of all for a long time afterwards. I recall that it was mostly rostered on the Pullman carriage trains. Thanks for reminding me

Thank's for the quick replies ☺ At least i know the oil i have won't harm it ☺ It's my first loco with smoke heard not overly brilliant but are a bit of fun really . Im glad it broght back good memories too ☺

The principal draw back with these "smoke" units is that they evaporate the oil into a vapour, a mist. They do not "burn" it, consequently a fine film is deposited over the surrounding area. If you don't mind cleaning up afterwards then there is no problem.    

Archived