RMweb

Private shunter running on NR metals

• RMweb Gold

Look at the state of that place, when I see vegetation like that it makes me angry.

There are two different locations in this yard with private locomotives, the A V Dawson one show and the other being the company that unloads the potash/salt.

Until 91 there was another in the former Ribble cement works which is the tower next to the train.

I know rule 1 applies but if a privately owned shunter was at a BR maintenance depot for repairs would it be moved around the depot under its own power or would it be hauled by another loco.

Well don't know about other places but in the late 70s when Nantgarw had 3 x class 11s one of them ( 6 ? I'll look it up later) came down to Canton and stayed for around 18months, don't know it might have been officially for storage in a safe place. Anyway, Canton used it as the depot shunter and it was forever pulling dead locos around the depot. Brian do you remember this ?

When the SRPS acquired Ex-Clydesmill Power Station No 3 (Barclay 0-4-0ST works no 1937)  in 1970 the locomotive ran under it's own steam from the power station at Cambuslang to the former SRPS Depot, Springfield Yard, Falkirk.  I think there is video somewhere of the move.

Jim

Well don't know about other places but in the late 70s when Nantgarw had 3 x class 11s one of them ( 6 ? I'll look it up later) came down to Canton and stayed for around 18months, don't know it might have been officially for storage in a safe place. Anyway, Canton used it as the depot shunter and it was forever pulling dead locos around the depot. Brian do you remember this ?

It was one of several that visited Canton during the 70s and early 80s. but I didn't see it working.

Off the top of my head, as well as D9530, I think D3000, D3183, D3255, D4092  and 12054 were also repaired at Canton - some were NCB, others NSF and some from A.R.Adams of Newport.

In addition, the two Cl.03s from Coed Ely coke ovens, numerous weird and wonderful NCB shunters and the Yorkshire Engine Co. shunters from GKN / ASW would visit for wheel turning - but their "in-house" maintenance facilities were very good and covered all other repairs.

One Sunday morning in 1971 I found preserved Collett 14xx No.1466 and a Toad on the old ground lathe in the carriage shed. The loco was returning to Didcot from filming 'Young Winston' somewhere around Coelbren / Onllwyn.

Returning to  the three ex-BR Class 11s at Nantgarw, imagine my surprise when I saw a Cl.37 towing all three between Penarth Curve North and Radyr on their way to Nantgarw.

(I've got the date somewhere, and details of the Cl.37).

Brian R

Look at the state of that place, when I see vegetation like that it makes me angry.

There are two different locations in this yard with private locomotives, the A V Dawson one show and the other being the company that unloads the potash/salt.

Until 91 there was another in the former Ribble cement works which is the tower next to the train.

I understand that around middle of last year Network Rail gave Dawsons the running of Middlesbrough Goods; they have/had hopes of remodelling to make their own traffic more efficient, (less shunting) and of course would have responsibility for maintaining the facilities for the other users.

Dawsons' major in bound rail traffic is coil steel from Llanwern which they store, in a rather impressive temperature and humidity controlled eco-friendly shed, for release on to, primarily, Nissan (quite a go-ahead company -they were also looking at tagging on container-tanked by-products from Port Talbot to the Teesside chemical industries, and also other steel products for eg Caterpillar, to make maximum use of scarce freight train paths). Quite how the current steel industry troubles will affect things is of course unknown, but Dawsons' was certainly trying o do what this forum would regard as 'the right thing'. 

It was one of several that visited Canton during the 70s and early 80s. but I didn't see it working.

Off the top of my head, as well as D9530, I think D3000, D3183, D3255, D4092 and 12054 were also repaired at Canton - some were NCB, others NSF and some from A.R.Adams of Newport.

In addition, the two Cl.03s from Coed Ely coke ovens, numerous weird and wonderful NCB shunters and the Yorkshire Engine Co. shunters from GKN / ASW would visit for wheel turning - but their "in-house" maintenance facilities were very good and covered all other repairs.

One Sunday morning in 1971 I found preserved Collett 14xx No.1466 and a Toad on the old ground lathe in the carriage shed. The loco was returning to Didcot from filming 'Young Winston' somewhere around Coelbren / Onllwyn.

Returning to the three ex-BR Class 11s at Nantgarw, imagine my surprise when I saw a Cl.37 towing all three between Penarth Curve North and Radyr on their way to Nantgarw.

(I've got the date somewhere, and details of the Cl.37).

Remember all the shunters hanging around the west yard, there always seemed to one there. Never saw the 14xx but then I wasn't a regular at Canton that early, but around 75-77 I spent far too many evenings on the footbridge.... I have very clear memories of the Nantgarw loco being used as a depot shunter in the evenings moving locos in and out of the maintenance shed for the evening shift.

Didn't see them going back and fore, I did go up to Nantgarw a couple of Weekends on my bike and only ever saw one in use. Usually there was only one other that I could see on site, the other being on Canton.

I did see one Sunday morning 37218 and 37284 (from memory) being moved at walking speed from Llandaff to Radyr, they had had a head on somewhere and one was being pushed and the other was being pulled by a 08 if I remember right with quite a few staff walking alongside checking them as they moved . Both had large black bin liners taped over the damaged ends and as it was a bit windy they were ballooning rather a lot. I seem to remember they were going Canton - Radyr via Llandaff and then back down via Quarry junc. A way of turning them around no doubt but it still left one pointing the wrong way, somewhat strange. One of them, I think 218 was in virtually ex works condition and was away having a new cab for an awful long time. It had had a shunt before going to Doncaster for the first overhaul and then was off again. Seem to remember it was OOU for a long, long time. Oh for a decent camera !

Brian R

Sorry Bri, somehow my reply has got caught up in your original post, dunno how that happened, old age no doubt.

Everything from after your mentioning of the 11s going around the Penarth curve is my missive :-(

John

When the SRPS acquired Ex-Clydesmill Power Station No 3 (Barclay 0-4-0ST works no 1937)  in 1970 the locomotive ran under it's own steam from the power station at Cambuslang to the former SRPS Depot, Springfield Yard, Falkirk.  I think there is video somewhere of the move.

Jim

there is 

Archived