Tynebank

ianblenk

Hi Guys,

Eventually well enough to start on the next project, which I rather think will be the last, I'm looking at a two year time frame to complete.

It supposes that the line to South Shields continued around the coast and joined the 'real world' at Monkwearmouth, a sensible premise for me as it would have hit some populated areas, Marsden, Whitburn and Roker.

Some must haves

• 3rd rail electrics
  • Link with Harton system
  • Big engines
  • Lots of Mineral action
  • Fully signaled, interlocked and bell codes.
  • Enough to occupy a drive and signal person.

And all in 5' can it be done, I think so!

I explored this concept with a previous layout 'Marine Park' which is on this site somewhere, it seemed to work well and so here is its successor;

A signalling diagram is attached

post-6265-0-00981600-1460744740.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I was born in South Shields and did my apprenticeship at Wearmouth Colliery so I'll be following this with great interest. Can we have a clearer diagram as I can't read the one you posted. I assume the 5'refers to the visible bit only and fiddle yards are additional. More detail please and good luck with the venture.

Tom.

Hi Guys,

Yep 4mm OO, I will put a clearer plan up this weekend, as well as some thoughts about planning, it's surprising what will go into 5', there are two 3' staging yrads at each end

Ian B

Hi Guys,

As you say a lot to put into 5', I started the process by looking at the space available, 11' x 2' along the wall of the railway room, for decent sized trains and through running this needed 3' staging yards which left 5' for the scenic area, still long enough to contain a complete train and frame it in the surrounds.

I then listed all the various traffic flows that I would like to see, including the more exotic things like non-revenue earning NCB traffic and Quayside electrics being towed back and forward to the shed.

In summary I ended up with;

• Mineral exchange with NCB
  • Freight exchange for riverside
  • Through traffic (freight and passenger)
  • Off/on shed.

Next the design of the track layout, I know compromises have to be made and the actual design simplified from prototype, but still allowing the basic movements to take place, the attached is what I have come up with. Next step would be to put a working sequence together and check to see if this could be accommodated, paying attention to the number of cassettes needed to minimise handling of stock.

TYNEBANK.docx

• RMweb Gold

Ian,

I'm still quite new to this site so hadn't found Marine Park until now, WOW what a brilliant layout. I think we're in line for something special with Tynebank. In the Marine Park thread you mentioned a layout you were going to build called Simonside, did you manage to build it ?

Tom

Ian,

I'm still quite new to this site so hadn't found Marine Park until now, WOW what a brilliant layout. I think we're in line for something special with Tynebank. In the Marine Park thread you mentioned a layout you were going to build called Simonside, did you manage to build it ?

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the remarks about Marine Park. Simonside is in fact now Tynebank, a more generic name. I have plans to include a pastiche of the  Tyne Dock arches and staiths at the back of Tynebank, which were in the vicinity of Simonside.

Ian B

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This is going to be good, more please Ian

Tom

Thanks Tom,

I'm going to finish the signals next, space is tight and I want to make sure I have the necessary clearances. There is a mix of NER Lower and LNER & BR upper.

It is my aim to have electrical interlocking. My progress however, makes snails look like Mr Bolt!

Cheers

Ian B

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Some Bank Holiday progress,

One of the gantries almost done, there will be 15 semaphores on the final version operated by Mega point units, I hope I am making the right choice. On Marine Park, there were only two signals and I used GF control for these. I have gone for Mega points as up to 12 servos can operate from the one control board.

Also placed L1 and some coaches on the fiddle board, it's always good to know the maximum train length can be accommodated! The L1 will be renumbered for the 'sevens' and will represent a South Shields to Middlesboro' stopper.

post-6265-0-57440100-1472747372.jpg

post-6265-0-90733400-1472747386.jpg

Fabulous signal Ian

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for that, it is the junction signal for (L to R), Harton Branch, Wapping Street Branch, Sunderland Up and Sunderland Down.

I used MSE parts and the methods described in Mick Nicholson's 'Semaphore Signals', I also referenced Steve Hewitt's excellent thread on this site.

With luck and this rate of progress I may have some track down soon!

Ian B

Ian,

I've got that book and I have lots of MSE parts so I class that as a start !

By 15 semaphores do you mean on the whole layout (not just on that gantry).

Are you hand building the track.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Yeah, 15 on the layout. I have hand built the turnouts, and using C&L track bases for plain track, hoping to get some laid soon!

Cheers

Ian B

Great work on the staiths, can I ask what timber you used for them please?

Thanks for that, I just used balsa wood, like the old Gene Pitney song, took a long time with obechi, but only 24 hours from balsa.

Sorry

Ian B

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Well track cut and laid, I have lightly spiked it as I normally use the ballast to hold it in place, I'm making some final clearance checks with some 'big stuff' before moving on to the next phase which will be fitting the tortoise motors. After which there will be a run through on the time table to ensure it all gels together.

The coaling stage will be to the left of the locos in the photo.

Cheers

Ian B

post-6265-0-43000400-1474832645.jpg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Well, isn't it just like life and health to get in the way of things!  I have been forced to have a re-think and trim my ambitions and so Tynebank  MkII has been started. The same criteria apply and I will start a thread in Layout Topics ASAP. Unfortunately I find myself working against the clock to finish, but I do like a challenge!

See you on the Layout Topic section

Cheers

Ian B