Silly Question time again?

shortliner

• RMweb Premium

I would be inclined to paint it lister green for the engine and the 'pump' yellow but when I worked on small plant we painted everything company blue as well as adding the company stickers. I think it is up to you does it belong to the railway or is it hired in? I would be tempted to fix the hole in the crankcase first and make up an exhaust system.

I would be inclined to paint it lister green for the engine and the 'pump' yellow but when I worked on small plant we painted everything company blue as well as adding the company stickers. I think it is up to you does it belong to the railway or is it hired in? I would be tempted to fix the hole in the crankcase first and make up an exhaust system.

Thanks for that - the "hole" is not in fact, one - but is a bit of flash and a shadow/trick of the light.  The only photo I found was a bright red Fire pump and it looked far too garish

Silly question for shortliner: why was yours a silly question? It seems a perfectly reasonable one to me, as to make any of these scenic items convincing we have to paint them in suitable colours. If you haven't seen one or got one near to you, then the only way is to ask questions.

My brother-in-law in Brisbane used to have a diesel engine reconditioning service as well as running the ferries. He gave me a tour of the factory back in the 1990s; it was very interesting and there were engines (mostly intended for marine use) of all sizes and many different colours, but I seem to recall that yellow and red were the most common for the main power plants. Greens and greys with the odd blue were also present, and I think there was an orange one as well. That doesn't answer your specific question, but it does illustrate and support what the other guys here have suggested.

Depends on... 1) make of diesel engine and 2) the policy of the company mateing the generator to the diesel engine.

Cats are yellow, Perkins used to be blue and are also seen in black, Old Cummins were white, Mitsubishi are black now

This one is for an unloading point for tank cars, alongside a track - it will live in an old 20' container with the doors open to show the engine - which is why I need to know suitable colours - It is similar to one used by Progressive Rail that was a two page article with  photos in an old RMC. It will be a simple "instant no-space industry" rather like a grain unloading conveyer/auger, which caught my eye away back and has been rattling round in my head (plenty of room!) ever since. It was just that I couldn't believe the only colour for a power unit could really be bright red! Notes have been taken and your generous assistance is very much appreciated

• RMweb Premium

Caterpillar Yellow stopped being applied due to it's lead content just as I started working for a Caterpillar dealership which IIRC would be around 1980. Although the older the engine the longer they seemed to last......

Caterpillar Yellow stopped being applied due to it's lead content just as I started working for a Caterpillar dealership which IIRC would be around 1980. Although the older the engine the longer they seemed to last......

Heck...I was buying Cat diesels all through the 90s and up to 2001......they were still Cat yellow then. And here is a bright red genny for Jack.

post-6759-0-70282200-1461187529.jpeg

Archived