Have sound but no motion.?

250BOB

My pal fetched his You Choos Duke of Gloucester round last night. It ran ok for a short while, then it stopped. All the sounds etc are still working, lights, whistles , injectors etc. And when I start to accelerate, I even get the cylinder cocks blowing off......BUT it doesn't move., so no chuffs.

First thoughts are something is jammed, but initially investigation doesn't show this.

I wondered about doing a reset on F8, but nervous about removing all sounds. On the instructions F8 is referred to as a Hard Reset.?

Any thoughts welcome.

By the way it is a Zimo MX645...I think.?

Bob

Bob,

Resetting any sound decoder only resets the CVs. Sounds are not removed.

There used to be a problem with LokSound, if the sound project creator had not ticked the necessary box during upload, but this is not much of an issue these days as people have wised up.

This has never been an issue with ZIMO decoders. CV8 = 8 is a hard reset to the CVs loaded at the time the sound project was added to the decoder, so it's safe to use.

Kind regards,

Paul

The other thing to check is that the wires or connections to the brushes are still intact. If one of those drops off, then you would get the symptoms you reported, i.e. sound but no drive.

Thanks Guys

I checked CV19, and it was 0..........also did a reset and no improvement.

Havent had the body off yet, I'm reluctant as not my model.......but could be something inside jammed, or as you say, a motor wire off.

Bob.

• 2 months later...

Thanks Guys

I checked CV19, and it was 0..........also did a reset and no improvement.

Havent had the body off yet, I'm reluctant as not my model.......but could be something inside jammed, or as you say, a motor wire off.

Bob.

Hi Bob

I've only just seen this post and a few months have gone by, but I was wondering if you have resolved the problem. I had a similar case just recently and I found the cause was the cv that sets the chuff rate had somehow been reset to zero. Putting a positive value in cured the problem. Maybe not the answer for you as you did a hard reset?

George

Hi Bob

I've only just seen this post and a few months have gone by, but I was wondering if you have resolved the problem. I had a similar case just recently and I found the cause was the cv that sets the chuff rate had somehow been reset to zero. Putting a positive value in cured the problem. Maybe not the answer for you as you did a hard reset?

George

Hi George

It wasn't my loco, it belonged to a friend. He returned it to YOU CHOOS who fitted it...... they came back and said it was the motor that had burnt out....????

I will email my pal and get the latest news.

Bob

Archived