Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby M7 front spectacle plate windows

Recently I bought a new Hornby M7, all runs and looked OK, but I see there is no glazing in the front spectacle plate windows, easy to put right, but did Hornby leave these empty on the models? The rear windows are glazed and fitted with bars, making the omission all the stranger.

The loco version is the M7 in LSWR fully lined Green, and I would have expected the edge of the glass to have a brass finished support ring, which again is not there. I have done an O scale M7 kit, and that had a tiny brass rim, porthole type.

All the Hornby photos on the net show no rim, and look as if there is no glazing, as the view through the window is so clear and undistorted.

I will make the brass rims in the lathe, and fit perspex glazing, but wondered if the missing glazing was down to Hornby or something missed in the assembly. The only issue is the tiny size of the rims, very thin and no outer section to make it easy to turn, only about 15 thou thick.

It only got noticed when the M7 was standing in line with the Beattie well tank and Hornby T9, both having brass rimmed windows. The Bachmann LBSR E4 062 has all glazed windows, but no brass rims as the real loco has none

Stephen

• RMweb Premium

Recently I bought a new Hornby M7, all runs and looked OK, but I see there is no glazing in the front spectacle plate windows, easy to put right, but did Hornby leave these empty on the models? The rear windows are glazed and fitted with bars, making the omission all the stranger.

The loco version is the M7 in LSWR fully lined Green, and I would have expected the edge of the glass to have a brass finished support ring, which again is not there. I have done an O scale M7 kit, and that had a tiny brass rim, porthole type.

All the Hornby photos on the net show no rim, and look as if there is no glazing, as the view through the window is so clear and undistorted.

I will make the brass rims in the lathe, and fit perspex glazing, but wondered if the missing glazing was down to Hornby or something missed in the assembly. The only issue is the tiny size of the rims, very thin and no outer section to make it easy to turn, only about 15 thou thick.

It only got noticed when the M7 was standing in line with the Beattie well tank and Hornby T9, both having brass rimmed windows. The Bachmann LBSR E4 062 has all glazed windows, but no brass rims as the real loco has none

Stephen

Hornby have modelled the front windows (spectacles) on the M7, but in the open position - as aussiebrfan says they are visible inside the cab.

Given glass requires a frame to hold it and the necessary hinges the brass ring will naturally not be viable either when the windows are fully open

Archived