Dublo Motor Bearings

PatB

I've just acquired a cheap Dublo N2 which requires pretty much everything doing to it (awful paintwork, near zero magnet strength, armature that smells like it's been very hot at some point, general distress) and I'm collecting parts for it.

The main missing bit seems to be the locknut from the top motor bearing and, taking this as an indication that it's been apart without due care and attention, I have to assume that the little balls out of the bearings are likely to be missing too. Does anyone know what the top bearing thread might be (I wondered about Meccano Whitworth)? Also, what size are the bearing balls? Ronald Dodd, in one of his very useful videos mentions 1/16". Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks in advance. If I can get round to taking photos, I'll be posting the restoration on RMWeb as it progresses.

Hi Pat, I am pretty certain they are 1/16" too. Regarding the lock nuts have a look at the Dublo Surgeon website and contact Dennis. The prices maybe out of date but he is still on the go and I see him regularly at shows. He may stock the bearings too but they are common in packets of 10 or so from the internet. The lock nut is quite thin and filing a full nut down to this size needs care to prevent it catching but holding securely.

Garry

The top bearing turns up on eBay quite frequently complete with nut and steel ball. It's easy to check the presence of the steel balls (there's one at the bottom too). When adjusted correctly, with just perceptible play, the bearing screw should be about flush with the top of the casting. If it screws in further one or both of the balls is missing. The thread is very fine, so it's not Whitworth - possibly B.A. (though it seems fine even for this)? Meccano Ltd. generally used one or the other.

I have to confess one of mine is secured with Loctite  :secret: (It will get replaced one day.....).

The top bearing turns up on eBay quite frequently complete with nut and steel ball. It's easy to check the presence of the steel balls (there's one at the bottom too). When adjusted correctly, with just perceptible play, the bearing screw should be about flush with the top of the casting. If it screws in further one or both of the balls is missing. The thread is very fine, so it's not Whitworth - possibly B.A. (though it seems fine even for this)? Meccano Ltd. generally used one or the other.

I have to confess one of mine is secured with Loctite  :secret: (It will get replaced one day.....).

I have made some of these bearings in the distant past & yes,they are 4BA but Threaded with a split die opened out as far as you can go,std.4BA is a slack fit,obviously a rolled overdiameter thread at the Meccano factory.

Beware of used bearings,they are generally worn,replace with new ones.

http://mainlytrains.webs.com/PriceList.htm

He also supplies replacement magnets.

Ray.

New bearings are certainly preferable, but supply is the problem.

I can recommend John (Mainly Trains) though I haven't dealt with him for some time.

The small bearings he has on offer are used, though he has some of the larger type brand new.

I doubt there are many Dublo N2s with the large bearing - easily identified by the revised safety valves with a large base. Wrenn models have this too, but are fitted with the chassis from the R1, with the ½" motor. The difference is obvious - the guard irons are behind the driving wheels, rather than the pony wheels.

Archived