Stanier Diag 2117 conversion.

Hi all.

With regards to the request above for some pictures showing the Keen systems couplings, you should see, below, various "extreme" close ups.

The first is the component parts to do one end of one coach, alongside the upturned coach showing the bogie modifications and the coupling fitted to the chassis.

The second is a close up of the coupling fitted with the bogie in situ.

The third is a close up with the bogie removed.

The fourth is a side view of the coupling fitted. I have used licquid poly to glue a bottom plate to the "NEM" housing, and I have noted from this picture that I might need to use some stronger glue! The method allows the Hornby close coupler to be removed and replaced with, say, the Bachmann air pipe type or presumably, a tension lock......

Hope these help.

Cheers.

Sean.

post-6920-127247221974.jpg

post-6920-127247224883.jpg

post-6920-127247227397.jpg

post-6920-12724723038.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Sean,

Really nice work on this Stanier.

Conversion works well and the finish is excellent.

Like the look of the Keen couplers.

Cheers.

Mark

Hi all.

Well, not had much chance to visit the forum over the last few days, but the good news is, the Keen/Hornby close couplers work well and ran smoothly through short radius Peco pointwork.

The only snag was the small "loop" on the lower part of the Hornby close coupler kept catching on the rails of the pointwork as the coaches passed over the points. The "loops" were easy to remove though and this cured the problem. It was a suprise, as the Airfix coupling was set at the same height as the Hornby couplings, so I wonder if this is a generic problem? Anywho, its sorted now, so no worries.

Whilst I was "playing about" with couplings, I fitted them to a pair of Bachmann MK1's. I find the Bachmann pipe type coupling leaves a small gap, but, the Hornby ones make the gangways actually touch! They still go through pointwork well though and the result is perfect. Unfortunately, I have no pictures, so you'll have to take my word for it, (or try it yourself!)

Thanks for all the help and advice with this one. As usual with my conversions, all you out there in RMwebland have been a great help.

Cheers.

Sean.

Tanks for the views of the coupler system. Well worth a trial on some non-LNER coaches.

Larry

What were you thinking of trying them on Coachmann?

When time permits I am going to try the three I have left on some Bachmann Thompson's. Maybe flush galze them too. Nothing too in depth though, I'm afraid. I'll need to source some correct pattern gangway doors too if you've any ideas?

Sean.

What were you thinking of trying them on Coachmann?

A couple of my brass coaches. Whether I'll get around to it this smmer is something else. Regarding the Thompsons, I tarted up a Full brake a couple of years ago but on comparing it with a Comet Thompson coach built only a few weeks ago, the roof profile is way out. As there wasn't much I could do with the plastic model I burned it.

Archived