Hornby Class 08 possible problem

Hi all,

I'm not sure if my Hornby 08 sound loco is developing a problem, I have only just noticed that the sound of the motor seems louder, the noise can still be heard when the loco is moving along with engine sound on idle. It maybe that it has always been that way and that there is nothing wrong at all and I've just become aware of the motor sound.

If I move any other locos with the engine sound switched off the same motor noise sound can be heard.

A quick inspection of the wheels, coupling rods don't reveal anything wrong, I have removed the body to check if anything is rubbing or catching on the flywheel but there doesn't appear to be anything. 

Just wondering if anyone else has had this and if it is possible to reduce the noise assuming the noise has got louder.

Thanks in advance

Michael

Since it sounds much like the other mechanisms you have on the layout, I suspect there is nothing wrong. You might take the keeper plate off and check that the wheel bearings and gear train are well lubricated (Hornby put an adequate quantity of grease in all the examples I have had to look at) and also use a tiny spot of light oil regularly on each of the flycrank rod pins. I don't use sound, and it is quite audible on some mechanisms when crankpins go dry; that little bit of extra drag increases gear train noise.

• RMweb Gold

Hornby 08s and 09s are notorious for the motor bearing dying out and making a nasty squealing noise, a little oil or grease should resolve it, obviously oiling the other area's as well as already pointed out to you

pheaton, on 25 Apr 2016 - 19:20, said:

Hornby 08s and 09s are notorious for the motor bearing dying out and making a nasty squealing noise, a little oil or grease should resolve it, obviously oiling the other area's as well as already pointed out to you

Thanks for the additional information.

Michael

34theletterbetweenB&D, on 26 Apr 2016 - 11:14, said:

You'll know it if the bearings on motor or flywheel go dry. A piercing scream as from a small girl, far and away the loudest sound I have ever heard from a model locomotive!

Just had the plate off the bottom of the loco, there is evidence of oil around the bearing/axle areas but dry in other parts so I have added a drop to each of the axles, bearings and coupling rod fittings.

I have mislaid the diagram for lubricating the loco, how do I get to the flywheel bearings to oil them?

Michael

• RMweb Gold

Take the body off, the flywheel bearings are at the end of the worm gear they have a plastic cover you will need to unclip this to get at them, pull the shaft out and some arctic grease or something similar should be smeared either on the shaft or the bearing itself.

Ive had Hornby 31s and 50s do the same on the gear towers never had anything like as much issues of Bachmann stuff

A quick update,

I have had the loco to bits, oiled everything that needs oil had a good clean up in and around the wheels and pick-ups areas and of course gave the wheels a good clean. The loco doesn't run any smoother as it ran fine before but there is still some motor/mechanism noise but nowhere near as loud as it was before the strip down so I am assuming that the noise that can be heard now must be normal.

Thanks again for all the great advice guys.

Michael

• 6 months later...

Hi all, 

To follow on from this I have recently been given a Hornby Class 08 that squeals at certain speeds (otherwise a good runner, including excellent slow performance). I understand that this could be due to: 

1. Insufficient clearance between the worm gear and its supporting brass bearing blocks - in this case the recommended resolution seems to be careful use of brasso to increase the tolerances. This seems to be a problem specific to a batch of locos. 

2. Dry motor bearings (/general lubrication required).

Before I consider (1) I want to start with the most basic troubleshooting first of (2). Could someone describe the best point/manner in which to lubricate the motor bearing? In additiom, would lubrication of the worm gear potentially be helpful too?

It may be that my model simply needs lubricating and running in after being left stood by its previous owner for some time - which I hope is the case rather than the insufficient tolerances of (1). 

Grateful for any input!

My Hornby 09 from some years ago squealed from new (as suggested, it was a reported problem with this batch). My first thoughts were dry motor bearings. However, oiling the motor end bearings made no difference. I eventually traced the squeal to the layshaft below the worm gear. a clean up and a a little oil fixed it once and for all. To this day, it has never squealed again.

Thanks SR man - my squealing only occurs at higher speeds and often correlates with a slowing of the loco. Clearly a part is causing friction that it should not - hoping that this can still be solved with lubrication rather than a more fundamental mechanical flaw. 

Archived