Newquay Signal Box

During the 1970's and up until the 1987 when it was abolished, I believe the Newquay signal box was only really required on summer Saturdays, and to cater for the occasional special. In reality then it was only required for about 20-30 days per year, as at all other times, there would only be one train in the section from St Dennis junction

Despite this, I don't think it was provided with a switch and had to be manned for all timetabled movements.

Why was a switch not provided, and if it had been, could it (and the associated track and signalling) survived post 1987?

• RMweb Gold

The reason it had to be manned was because the section was worked under Electric Token Regulations and as it was at the end of the branch it could not be switched out.  

I can only surmise that for some reason it had not been considered economic to convert it to 'No Signalman Key Token' working and of course that would not have allowed two passenger trains to be at Newquay at the same time or for two trains to cross at Newquay without some complicated lock-in arrangements which would have cost money to install.

Stranraer Harbour box is now normally switched out, despite being the end of the branch. This leaves a single platform line available, with the up and down semaphores showing clear.

I'm not sure which token regulations are in force on that line, but I am just wondering why such a system would not have been possible at Newquay.

• RMweb Gold

Stranraer Harbour box is now normally switched out, despite being the end of the branch. This leaves a single platform line available, with the up and down semaphores showing clear.

I'm not sure which token regulations are in force on that line, but I am just wondering why such a system would not have been possible at Newquay.

It might have been possible but to do it back then would not have been easy within the constraints of the Regulations and available technology at that time.  For example Windsor was worked on such a basis, with a new signalbox, from the early 1960s for some years until the (still quite new) signalbox was closed when various connections were removed and the layout was reduced to a single operational platform line but that arrangement would have been far too expensive for Newquay as it involved continuous track circuiting of the branch and power working of two signals at Windsor.

The Stranraer arrangement - which I can't find a date for - involves a system of method of working changeover which i ssuepct the WR would not have been very keen on as an idea although it had previously used long and short section tokens which are not entirely dissimilar in principle.

Anyway as I understand the section from Dunragit to Stranraer is normally protected by giving the Driver an Annett's Key - effectively as a single line Trainstaff.  When this is inserted into an instrument at Stranraer Harbour it releases the king lever, circuit, various signals are returned to danger. and the electric Token circuit is released converting the section to Electric Token operation.  The disadvantage of this arrangement is that there are two different methods of operation for the same section of line although obviously because of the way they are interlocked they can't both be in use at the same time but that would have tended to be frowned on by Western Region operations people because confusion can occur.  The other disadvantage is that - assuming it is done properly - someone has to travel by road to Stranraer with the Annett's Key in order open the signalbox and convert from one operating system to the other and similarly in order to change back once they have done the necessary at Stranraer they have to drive back to Dunragit with the Annett's Key and, a less important feature, while Stranraer Harbour signalbox is open the intermediate yard connection (if it's still there) can't be used as the GF is released by the Annett's Key.

With a sparse service this sort of arrangement is feasible, the Summer Saturday frequency on the Newquay branch wouldn't have allowed it unless the changeover took place before start of service and was changed back after the service ceased - which would have meant at least two, and possibly three turns which could only be covered by Reliefmen - in the middle of the main leave period.

Archived