Broad Gauge 'Rob Roy' works plate details?

MikeOxon

I am planning to build a model of the GWR Waverley-class engine 'Rob Roy'.  There is a good high-res photo on the web at http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/rail1005-1322.jpg which shows a prominent works plate (I assume that's what it is) at the junction of the two driving wheel splashers.  I've tried to enhance the photo but can't make it legible.

post-19820-0-34731200-1462625529.jpg

According to the RCTS Broad Gauge book, these engines were built by R. Stephenson at Newcastle on Tyne but I can't make the form of the words on this plate match any of their works plates that I have seen.  Perhaps it is something else?  Does anyone have any information, please?

Mike

My guess, as the image is at the limit of the medium, by inspection of the spacing  ,is GREAT WESTERN on the top, Works No ----- on the bottom, and Robert Stephenson across the middle.

As the reproduced image may be copyright of the NRM it is only part posted here for strictly educational purposes, the original image would be out of copyright due to age..

Stephen

post-6750-0-93882000-1462630715.jpg

Thanks for having a go bertiedog.  Sometimes it seems easier to 'see' the form of the words at a lower magnification.  For me, your suggestion works quite well on the image in my OP whereas, at higher magnification, it looks more like a Greek inscription :)

Any other thoughts?

Robert Stephenson plates of around that time would generally contain:

a) The works number (in this case 972)

B) "RT STEPHENSON & CO" (dotted under the superscripted letters)

c) "ENGINEERS"

d) "NEWCASTLE ON TYNE"

e) The year (in this case 1855)

I don't really see that the lettering on the plate matches - in fact I imagine I can make out the word "BURY" on the bottom line. Were these locos built with bar frames or in some other way followed Bury's patent?  (I'm speculating).

If you look at ANTIQUARY here: http://spellerweb.net/rhindex/UKRH/GreatWestern/Broadgauge/BGLocos/Waverley.html carries a similar plate (but was built by Stephensons, not Swindon).  Unfortunately this lovely drawing: http://www.scienceandsociety.co.uk/results.asp?image=10304480 has the coupling rods positioned to obscure any plate that might have been drawn in.  There's a tantalising illustration in the RCTS broad gauge book (opposite page B17) but enlargement shows that there are no letters represented in the plate.

(I'll leave in the stupid smiley that replaced my text to show how annoying these things can be).

Thank you EddieB.  I've seen Stephenson plates of the type you describe but, as you say, the lettering on this one doesn't seem to match. 

I doubt the plate will be legible on any model I make but, on the other hand, it's surprising what ink-jet printers can reproduce.  This is a microscope view of a Swindon plate on my 4mm-scale 'Queen-class'

post-19820-0-09128900-1462701727.jpg

I don't think it needs too much imagination to read much of this minute plate! So, it would be nice to be able to get it right - annoying as you say :)

Archived