Resurrection

Il Grifone

I'm not sure anyone is really interested, but being fed up with continually finding this and loath to throw it out (against Grifone principles!) I thought I'd see if anything could be done with it.

post-6780-0-86224500-1463054673_thumb.jpg

As I'm sure everyone knows, these are the remains of a Hornby Dublo point with a good (if play-worn) one for comparison. The paxolin blade assembly was broken and since it has been used a source of bits. What if I replaced the missing blade and built a new crossing from rail, since the base is not too bad?

post-6780-0-01013600-1463055001_thumb.jpg

The first job was to strip it down and clean it up and then make up a new blade. The ends of the rail have been filed ready to make the crossing and the base has been tinned. (Sorry the photo is not very clear.)

The blade has been fixed in place with epoxy. I now have to wait for it to cure. If this is successful, I can carry on; if not, the bin beckons.

What you need as well are some Dinky Toy double deck buses to run the Railway Emergency Service while the point is being rebuilt ..........

What you need as well are some Dinky Toy double deck buses to run the Railway Emergency Service while the point is being rebuilt ..........

Been there, done that!  (Several times.)  :)   (STL, Regent II, Routemaster and Fleetline)

There are numerous versions of the 29c/290  http://www.talkmodeltoys.com/discus/messages/27668/11539.html?1317585881

Luckily I don't have one like the photo half way down. :O  :(

There's one being repainted at the moment, but I need to do it again as the cream isn't the right shade. It needs some proper wheels too; the ones it has from some Chinese lorry (Charity shop - 20p) are not the right size (it came less paint and wheels).

I`ve got a couple of 3 rail electrcally operated points with broken frogs,I can get prewar frogs from a supplier in the HRCA but they are a different design.

Ray.

If I'm not mistaken, there are a couple of designs of pre-war frog, which are completely different from the post war version. Pre-war points also have longer blades. manual versions have a sleeper/ballast design matching the plain track, but the electric ones have the same grey base as post-war points and crossings. Pre-war frogs suffer from the dreaded pest and I have already replaced one with rail. I'll post a picture with the next installment - the epoxy seems to have functioned (for once), but I've been distracted with some signals....

• RMweb Premium

You are a lucky 

I'm not sure anyone is really interested, but being fed up with continually finding this and loath to throw it out (against Grifone principles!) I thought I'd see if anything could be done

My first railway layout had four right-hand versions of this. By then, all points were sold out and a left-hand one was the stuff of dreams.

Track plans were limited, but always fun - memory fades but it always seemed pretty reliable, rarely stalled, never derailed ...

- Richard.

For Xmas 1951, I received six points (I can't remember with my first Dublo locomotive (Atholl) plus an assortment of wagons and other track - no coaches (Korean war shortages I assume - I was too young to understand such things). Six they stayed, seeing the price (it varied between 10/6d and 11/3d IIRC), for many years. One got broken* - it was returned from Binns Road as 'beyond economic repair' to my intense disappointment.

* The paxolin plate which holds the closure rails split and liberated one - no epoxy resin to stick it back in place then.

Archived