Scorpio or Warren Sheppard Hall

Simon Moore

I've been asked by a customer to find some info on which kit is best. I said a jltrt or finney would be best but he doesn't have that budget so it's 1 of the average priced kit. I know nothing about either manafacture so would like some help please so I can relay the info.

Cheers

Simon

I have built a Scorpio Castle, and a Warren Shephard 52xx, and just to add to the confusion, my Hall is Springside.

I wouldn't rule out Scorpio by any means, but I have recently purchased another Shephard kit - a 43xx. His etches are solid, his castings are, IMO most satisfactory, the instructions seem to work, and I have no hesitation in recommending Warren's kits.

Usual disclaimers, of course.

Best

Simon

To build a Hall. it would be worth considering buying a Lionel Harry Potter loco or set if you search Ebay for a well priced example.  I authored one article for the GOG Gazette converting one to scale 2-rail(and later making a Grange also).  It is a relatively simple project.  For optimum scale appearance, work must be done on the cylinders,

It is typically cheaper than an etched kit.  The bodies are built for you.  You can fiddle with how you shim the new scale divers and be able to arrange sideplay for short radius curves.  And the weight gives good traction.post-16585-0-47984400-1463466121_thumb.jpgpost-16585-0-56106800-1463466146_thumb.jpg[at]

John Hutnick

Definitely Warren.  The Scorpio kit will probably end up with some of Warren's superior castings anyway if not some Lawrie Griffin's too.  Jazz upgraded the Scorpio 97xx with castings only a few months ago.

Unlike Simond, I found the WS instructions (for my 74xx) brief to the point of frustration and there are some details missing that JLTRT would include.

Warren is most helpful whereas getting an email response to a simple enquiry from Scorpio has eluded me, pretty poor in 2016.

Archived