Power Cab UTP panel

Hi all

I have just started setting up the utp on my layout to expand my system. I have connected it to the PCP panel using a cab bus cable as per the diagram. Do I still need to have the controller still plugged in the left hand side of the PCP panel if I don't have a booster? Or can the original handset be moved to the other panel and operate?

Best wishes

Colin

• RMweb Premium

I would suspect that as the PowerCab provides the "power" to the track via the PTP, you'd still need to plug that in to the PTP rather than into one of the UTP sockets which are effectively the same as the right hand socket of the PTP.

I'd try the arrangement initially with the PowerCab in the conventional PTP location and then when you're happy that the system is working like that, see what happens if you move the throttle to the UTP.

I would suspect that as the PowerCab provides the "power" to the track via the PTP, you'd still need to plug that in to the PTP rather than into one of the UTP sockets which are effectively the same as the right hand socket of the PTP.I'd try the arrangement initially with the PowerCab in the conventional PTP location and then when you're happy that the system is working like that, see what happens if you move the throttle to the UTP.

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the reply. I have tryed the Powercab in the PCP panel and it works fine. As I suspected the controller screen comes on when plugged in the other panel but has no track power.

Best wishes

Colin

• RMweb Premium

Another question. If I keep the Powercab plugged in on the pcp. Could I plug a pro cab in as a slave controller on the UTP for second operator?

Beat wishes

Colin

That's something that I have done. You can also use the PTP for the second controller.

Yes, as per the answers above. 

Summarising: The Power Cab is the command station and supplies the track power through the PCP. As such, it must remain plugged in at all times to that one socket in the PCP. If you unplug the primary Power Cab, everything will just stop.

To get a walk-about facility, you need a second controller, whether it be a Pro Cab, another Power Cab (set to a different address and also using the coiled, four-wire cord), a Cab 04, Cab 05, or Cab 06, to be able to unplug and move it around while trains remain moving as per their last instructions. The second controller may be plugged into the second socket in the PCP, or in any UTP added to the cab bus. PCP and UTP PCBs have the connections clearly marked as to which way they need to be connected to the next panel.

Power Cabs with the latest version firmware (1.65) are able to have three other cabs slaved off them (or two cabs and a USB interface). Older versions officially only support one other device, but unofficially, more recent releases of v. 1.28 actually allowed two such devices (I was able to demonstrate this at a few exhibitions).

Archived