The Garden Railway

kes

Hi Ray, I have found it does not need it as there is a slight run off across the boards. Also the track is not ballasted and the covering is heavy duty mineralised roofing felt.

Kevin.

• 4 weeks later...

The J50 is progressing - I now have cut off all the moulded on side handrails, drilled the holes and fitted the new pillars and wire. I will post photos later - it's nice and sunny for photography today.

I then got busy with the soldering iron and made the coal rails.

DSCF0832.JPG

DSCF0833.JPG

DSCF0837.JPG

DSCF0839.JPG

DSCF0840.JPG

Edited by kes
missing
  • Like 3

Injectors and brake gear to go on next - once I have made them. Then I will fix the cab roof on and fill the gaps. The last parts to fit will be guard irons, vac pipes and those open front foot steps.

• 4 weeks later...

Been away for 10 days in Mid Wales, doing the Severn Valley and Gloucestershire/Warwickshire Railways and The Forest of Dean Railway, where we saw Met No1 in steam. Much walking and cycling, and in the evenings, I built an O gauge Gresley 51' brake third !  Well - what else do you do?

• 4 weeks later...

The J50 now has a coat of satin black on the body, as is gently cooking in the conservatory.

The 45 degree heat in there has finally set the Humbrol satin black! - took 3 days.

DSCF1058.JPG

DSCF1059.JPG

DSCF1060.JPG

DSCF1061.JPG

Edited by kes
missing
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

The J50 has been progressing, it now has transfers, and is awaiting the front steps, coal, injectors and much weathering.

It also needs the buffer shanks painting black yet.

Ian Kirk Gresley suburban coaches are coming along - these were built when we were on holiday!

DSCF1146.JPG

DSCF1147.JPG

DSCF1149.JPG

DSCF1150.JPG

Edited by kes
missing
  • Like 4

The J50 now has a coat of satin black on the body, as is gently cooking in the conservatory.

The 45 degree heat in there has finally set the Humbrol satin black! - took 3 days.

Humbrol seems to be rubbish these days, it really does. I would use Halfords car Matt Black spray which is actually satin finish, goes on nicely and sets off fast.

Those J50s are a nice chunky looking loco, with the slope to the top of the tanks. Nice work!

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Today, with the increased condensation in the mornings, I have removed most of the stock from the shed and put it to bed in the shoe boxes. I have retained some Lima mineral wagons and plastic wheeled coaches to give me something to run during the winter months.

Back to building wagons and coaches over the coming months!

Kevin.

• 2 years later...

The Gresleys have reached the point of being painted teak and have 150 windows cut and fitted (!) the next job is to fix the transfers , then varnish and weather the beasts.

DSCF3451.JPG

DSCF3452.JPG

Edited by kes
missing
  • Like 8

• 2 years later...

During lockdown I built my remaining Kirk kit, a LNER five comp brake third suburban. They were quite rare beasts, I think only 12 were built, some for use in Scotland, and a few in GE territory. So I now have a rake of five Gresley teak suburbans to run once the spring is upon us. The brake is awaiting weathering and final varnishing. The pictures came out a bit washed out as I was trying to get them before the rain started!

DSCF3510.JPG

DSCF3511.JPG

Edited by kes
added pictures.
  • Like 7

• 1 year later...

I have not posted anything for over a year to this thread. My shed is 15' 8" x 5' 8" internal dimensions, and experimenting with some Rivarossi set track curves, of 80cm radius, and Lima ones of 70cm radius  shows I could get a continuous run in there. Even more remarkable is a trial run using locos and stock shows the following will run around them using 3 link or Dingham couplings:- Dapol 57xx, Dapol Terrier, Heljan 122, and GWR railcar, Minerva tank engines, Dapol 08, with four wheel wagons up to the 20 ton LNER plate wagon. My bogie coaches ( all Kirk kits) need a tiny amount removing from the inside of the solebars to stop the wheels rubbing. I will have NO reverse curves, so propelling is not a problem. I will let you know what I have to do as I go along.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, kes said:

I have not posted anything for over a year to this thread. My shed is 15' 8" x 5' 8" internal dimensions, and experimenting with some Rivarossi set track curves, of 80cm radius, and Lima ones of 70cm radius  shows I could get a continuous run in there. Even more remarkable is a trial run using locos and stock shows the following will run around them using 3 link or Dingham couplings:- Dapol 57xx, Dapol Terrier, Heljan 122, and GWR railcar, Minerva tank engines, Dapol 08, with four wheel wagons up to the 20 ton LNER plate wagon. My bogie coaches ( all Kirk kits) need a tiny amount removing from the inside of the solebars to stop the wheels rubbing. I will have NO reverse curves, so propelling is not a problem. I will let you know what I have to do as I go along.

Interesting! Are you getting the Dapol Terrier and 08 around Lima 700mm curves with Dingham or 3-link coupling? My own experiments with Dingham's on tight curves resulted in them bending.

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi Goldfish, it is early days and experimentation at the present, but here are some rough photos of my Terrier and 57xx both fitted with rigid Dinghams, i.e not sprung in the buffer beam. Both the locos and the wagons buffers are lightly sprung. I have used the longest rigid wagon I own, a 20T LNER plate wagon. The sideways movement withing the Dingham loop is at its maximum when one vehicle is on the straight and the other is entering the curve. In all my cases of trials the loop is not being bent sideways. I will be laying the curves so the radius is exact and continuous, so no kinks at fishplates and no gaps between the rail ends. It proves it can be done.

This is the 57xx on the 70cm rad curve.IMG_20240101_124735.jpg.7f399a3f9ef13b7fb835e4c8baefcf3a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Here it is on the straight with the wagon attached, then as it enters the curve, then with both on the curve.IMG_20240101_124925.jpg.8bdacce60a996ccb079cfb69fb460de6.jpgIMG_20240101_124936.jpg.7114d88ae2f57047c223fe60da3c6fff.jpg

Edited by kes
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

And of course Marc at Pre-grouping Railways does the Flippem coupling, which is a more robust and wider-looped variation of the Dingham if you need more sideways movement. Just search for Flippem Couplings on RM Web. I should be laying the test line in the shed later this week, so I shall report on my findings and tweaks as they happen. Some of my stock is 3 link, so may need a longer 2nd link depending on the buffer compression. My trains on this line will only be 3 or 4 wagons or 2 or 3 four wheeled coaches so the loads are small. If I can get things around this 70cm radius curve, I should have no problems with the Rivarossi 80cm curves which will form a high level circuit. 

Edited by kes
added more info

For a rough comparison, the 70cm curve is 27" rad, which equates to 15 1/2" rad in oo - 1st radius. The 80cm curve is 31" rad, which equates to 17" rad in oo - 2nd radius. So it should be possible to get most things around these as long as you have enough side play in the wheel bearings.

59 minutes ago, kes said:

For a rough comparison, the 70cm curve is 27" rad, which equates to 15 1/2" rad in oo - 1st radius. The 80cm curve is 31" rad, which equates to 17" rad in oo - 2nd radius. So it should be possible to get most things around these as long as you have enough side play in the wheel bearings.

Thank you for the photographs, they are most thought provoking. My failed attempt with Dingham's was on 627mm radius, so a little ridiculous. I abandoned the idea of automatic couplings completely and went over to LMC pattern drop links. I have recently increased the radius of my tail chasing loop to 27" and so I will watch your progress with interest. The temptation to get a Terrier is getting stronger.

On 01/01/2024 at 15:09, kes said:

My trains on this line will only be 3 or 4 wagons or 2 or 3 four wheeled coaches so the loads are small. If I can get things around this 70cm radius curve, I should have no problems with the Rivarossi 80cm curves which will form a high level circuit. 

I have a couple of Dapol Stroudley Mainline 4-wheel coaches which I tried on Lima 700mm curves before settling on 27" curves. This is them on the straight, at the start of the 700mm curve, and fully on the 700mm curve with 3-link couplings.

IMG_0440.JPG.8a980bf3c5f5e76ca681993df61c6e47.JPG

IMG_0441.JPG.b6ce39d8801b8e92707a2134e84cad47.JPG

IMG_0442.JPG.d9e4544a23517536d2ba9d7e82c1ad19.JPG

The problem I found was that with my ETS Terrier I got buffer lock when pushing them into the 700mm curve with the front buffers. The rear buffers worked fine, it might just have been a feature of this particular locomotive. This did however prompt me to use a 800mm (31.5") curve as a transition onto the 27" curves. This appears to have solved the problem, but I suspect that this is the longest rigid wheelbase that will work reliably with 3-link couplings. The slightly wider entrance curve also looks better, at least to my eyes.

I should add that 700mm reverse curves are not possible with Dapol 4-wheel coaches and 3-link couplings.

Edited by goldfish
Added important information.
  • Like 1