Highly detailed 7mm Track Construction "I thought it would be easy...." SORRY ITS NOT

I am about to....or put it another way....I had planned to construct a small end to end GWR 7mm layout to very high visual and running standards. but it's stalled as I can't find enough commercial parts that will enable me to do this successfully.

I have spent quiet a bit of time scanning the internet forums on track building and this has led me to adopt 31.50 gauge (would have gone for S7 but I not able to alter my existing Finscale O gauge stock, so this was the main compromise to high fidelity)

I started by purchasing some Exactoscale ABS bolt chairs, nickel silver bullhead rail and ABS sleepers, then the first problem hit me...

Exactoscale don't make any other 2 bolt chairs for the pointwork (C&L parts were just not as good so did not want to mix up standards).

Time for another compromise ... Exactoscale make some very nice 4 bolt bridge and 4 bolt slide chairs so with visual fidelity in mind I decided to mix the different regions, but at least the overall effect using a mixture of 2 and 4 bolt Exactoscale components would provide visual satisfaction.

So with even more components now sitting on my work bench a start was made to create a a short length of track to test parts required for 31.5mm gauge pointwork.

Within 10 minutes I realised the bullhead rail did not really fit the Exactoscale chairs very well as the profile of the rail and chair rail profile is different by a significant amount on the foot of the bullhead section.

When I investigated I found the chair profile was more suited to PECO profile which I know is not quite right but have to say it accepted the Exactoscale chairs without any problems and it was also at 1/20 inclination.

Sadley Exactoscale slide chairs were even worse as fhe refuse to accept normal Bullhead rail but again not an issue with PECO profile because rail foot is not as thick.

Another compromise coming.... I then decided to use a mixture of Exactoscale chairs use PECO profile rail and thought I was now making some progress!

Now to make some check rail chairs from some Exactoscale chairs using a small cuttingjig I had made it was going well until I realised the check rails would also be at a 1/20 inclination instead of being vertical.... shame as they look at an odd angle with rail ends now pointing upwards..... time to STOP.

Current dilemma.... would love to make my own track but have to say with all the compromises and issues I have discovered so far PECO is probably the way forward for me as they make some very nice mouldings, they look the part, they are consistent in style, they come ready made and they are cheap compared to build your own. Yes "frog dropping" will have to be overcome with 1.75mm gaps.

Am I the only person that has this problem or have I missed something...HELP PLEASE!!!!

Archived