Smiley Shortcut Conflicts

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy,

Is it possible to modify the shortcut text for some of the smilies so that

b) and B) and (c)

can be used in normal text correctly?

I'd suggest something like b.) B.) and (c.) for the smilies/special text, allowing the text the user wants to be typed in showing as desired without being converted...

There are probably some others, but I can't think what they might be at the moment.

TIA

Martin, I've deleted that post because although you know it and I know it there's some people I would rather they didn't know it as it would only make my life harder. :)

• RMweb Premium

Martin, I've deleted that post because although you know it and I know it there's some people I would rather they didn't know it as it would only make my life harder. :)

? I'm intrigued now...

I remember another, less common conflict - 8)

8)

but it's rarer due to not many people manually creating a list of at least eight numbered items.

• RMweb Gold

The ( c ) is more problematic but I'll dig further.

I seem to recall that one sometimes being used in some programs, as a way of calling up the letter "c" in a circle - a copyright symbol.

I can't see this being much of an issue for me, unless I get chance to build something (possibly even complete a build) - and post progress photos.

Yes - I know - building things and posting photos of them. These are definitely alien concepts - and not likely to catch on with some people here …

(A bit like my builds, really - some of them are very alien …)

Huw.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've noticed a couple of smilies are now static where previously they were animated (I preferred the animated ones). There appear to be some duplications in the text:

All the above have doubles, causing the first to be static, while the other two are still animated, as :) ;) and :angry: respectively, while

and 

seem to conflict and settle on the lowercase static smiley as :O and :O respectively. What's interesting is that while editing a post the smiley seems to be the animated one, then on actual posting the smilies become static.

Any chance of removing the static variants so the animated ones can come back?

Archived