Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Where to Blog?

28XX

I am intending to start a Blog on a non-railway related topic. Can anyone give a recomendation of a good free blog site, or horror stories of sites to avoid.

• RMweb Gold

I'll step in first and suggest Blogger

Very user friendly, plus you can customise it to make it look how you want it to look. Here's my blog made on Blogger:

My blog (Calshot)

It's free, accessible, and comes with some interesting features such as enabling you to 'follow' other blogs.

Usual disclaimer.

HTH,

Jam

Without a doubt Wordpress.com (PMP, Wordpress.org is for self hosting if you have your own server space).

It's extremely intuitive, has a friendly user interface and is far more customisable then Blogger. While Blogger is a popular choice for many, it suffers from lack of development by Google, it's owners, whereas Wordpress is regularly updated and well maintained.

Without a doubt Wordpress.com (PMP, Wordpress.org is for self hosting if you have your own server space).

It's extremely intuitive, has a friendly user interface and is far more customisable then Blogger. While Blogger is a popular choice for many, it suffers from lack of development by Google, it's owners, whereas Wordpress is regularly updated and well maintained.

The reason I would pick Blogger over all of those is the Google Adsense box you can put on your blog to gain a little revenue towards writing it. It has helped me through university in many ways...! :lol:

I would not deny however, that it is fairly basic when compared to Wordpress. However my own has had a lot done to it, and I feel it works well enough to show here:

Copley Hill Blog

It is actually possible to add AdSense to Wordpress, although having tried it in the dim and distant past, it was blooming complication to do. Wordpress do only allow you to have one advert box per page as part of their terms.

Incidentally, Blogger was the first blog software I ever used, way back before it was taken over by Google. It used to be much slicker then it is now. It's a shame that Google have kind of left it by the wayside compared to other products.

Many thanks for your replies. Excuse my ignorance, but how does one get paid by AdSense, surely its only a few pennies for click - throughs?

Many thanks for your replies. Excuse my ignorance, but how does one get paid by AdSense, surely its only a few pennies for click - throughs?

It adds up mind - you need to hit a threshold of £60 a month to be paid each month. I do this with my youtube videos and the blog combined - enough clicks to ensure I reach about £62 each month. If I don't make the threshold, it clicks over to the next month and I get paid whatever I made in the first month plus the second month.

The pennies build up quite quickly if you have enough people looking on it at any one time.

Archived