CDAs/clay hoods and block trains

TomJ

Just wondered if any of the Cornish experts on here had any information to help me justify a 'rule 1'. My layout is set in the 80s or early 90s.

Almost all the pictures I've seen of the clay goods and later CDAs show them working as block trains from clay works to Fowey. Were there any examples of where shunting of these wagons took place en route. I'm thinking that perhaps a train started with a few from one works and then picked up more as it went? Or would each works wait till it had a complete train full before despatching a train for Fowey?

Or were they ever combined with other wagons and tripworked as far as St Blazey for remarshalling?

Thanks for any info.

Just wondered if any of the Cornish experts on here had any information to help me justify a 'rule 1'. My layout is set in the 80s or early 90s.

Almost all the pictures I've seen of the clay goods and later CDAs show them working as block trains from clay works to Fowey. Were there any examples of where shunting of these wagons took place en route. I'm thinking that perhaps a train started with a few from one works and then picked up more as it went? Or would each works wait till it had a complete train full before despatching a train for Fowey?

Or were they ever combined with other wagons and tripworked as far as St Blazey for remarshalling?

Thanks for any info.

Hi

Can't comment on Hoods but during my trips to Par during the mid 2000's I took pics on at least one occasion of a mixed rake of wagons including a few CDA's heading East....

I assume they were going to Tavistock Junction yard prior to being tripped to be filled at Lee Moor either as the full train or as extras.....

I shall see if I can find them & when I do I will post on here......

As far as the hoods go I am sure it must have happened as for a while they were repaired at St Blazey so were probably tripped to their next filling point by any available freight train.....

Cheers Bill

Edit: Marsh Mills was the loading point....Lee Moor was I think where the clay was sourced..

In the era of the clayhoods sometimes a loaded rake of wagons might get left at St Blazey then go forward to Fowey later.

Loaded clayhoods were also put in the yard at Lostwithiel before being worked down to Fowey, it is possible that

two blocks of loaded wagons might get marshalled together in either instance.

In the picture of TTAs and CDAs posted by Bill I agree the CDAs will be for loading at Marsh Mills,

and the TTAs will be attached to the return Tavistock Junction to Eastleigh tank train for their journey back to Faw;ey,

cheers 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived