'Hafod Halt'

Hi,

Just thought I'd share with you the 009 layout I've been working on.  It's an imaginary branch line to a farm and takes inspiration from a few narrow gauge railways.  Really, it's just an excuse to run some 009 scale rolling stock.

post-27523-0-88033900-1465887792.jpg

The backscene is a panoramic photograph of the Vale of Rheidol that I took myself on a trip over to West Wales.  The premise of a line serving a farm was inspired by the Welshpool and Llanfair Light Railway, as was the choice of rolling stock; these coaches are (almost) the ones donated by the Zillertal Railway.  The locomotive is a freelance design produced as a brass kit by A1 Models, which I've painted red as a small nod to the Zillertal Railway.

post-27523-0-43743400-1465888464.jpg

I'll post some more photographs as I get round to adding to the model.

James.

I like your backscene! I think a combination of a simple trackplan and good backscene is a really underrated way of getting things up and running quickly. It's also a great way of maintaining enthusiasm between larger projects or when you don't have space for anything larger.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your comments.  Yes, a couple of red kites would be appropriate, the feeding station is not far away.  Driving out of Aberystwyth at the right time I saw quite a few of them flying across the road, it's quite a sight.

I haven't been doing much on the layout, and most of what I have been doing has been finishing the electrics and point rodding (I underestimated the number of isolating sections I'd need).  I did, however, get round to painting a coach in the more correct Zillertalbahn livery for the Welshpool & Llanfair.  The other one is bright red as the 'heritage' coaches are on the Zillertalbahn today, and looks more appropriate with the red locomotive.

post-27523-0-81642900-1466927020.jpg

Archived