Where can I get TOPS info?

JaymzHatstand

I'm relatively new to the modern spotting scene, and not very hard-core (no units, coaches or wagons for me), but like to know which locos I've seen. Working nights at the Tesco just outside York affords me great views of the ECML on my breaks, however, it's usually dark (though the lighter mornings are coming) and when a good heavy freight rumbles past, I can usually make out the loco, but rarely the number. I know there are places on't internetweb that are packed full of gen and up to the minute stock and train movements but I have no clue where they are to be found.

My main problem is that a Freightliner 66, which is one of the most common passers by, has a nice neat small number and so is very hard to make out at a distance in the dark. I'm not going to be counting something that is just a shaow, but if I can make out the branding on the loco, I can comfortably class it as 'seen' (this might upset the purists, but I'm fine with it for my own purposes)

Another great example was this morning (March 10), I was outside, by the fence, and the Network Rail inspection train rumbled past being propelled by a 31, but unfortunately my eyes didin't focus quickly enough on it's number, and as it's something I'm not likely to see again, I'd like to get it down in my Platform 5 book!

If anyone can help me find the information I'm looking for, or point me in the right direction, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks a lot

J

Hi there

I'd try one of the Yahoo e-mail groups dealing with railways in Yorkshire. http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/search?query=yorkshire+rails turns up a couple: Yorkshire-rail(273 members) and Yorks-rail (453 members). At least some of those people will be in the rail industry, and they're just about the only people with direct access to the sort of information that you're after. Others will be "connected" via friends who have access themselves and don't mind passing on the odd snippet. Others will be enthusiasts who happen to have seen the same trains that you have and did manage to get the locomotive number. I'm a member of the Liverpool-rails Yahoo group (as are several other RMWebbers I can think of) and I've found it a great source of local information.

The same link also turns up several "gen" groups. These are more about advance notice of locomotive assignments and real time observations. As well as the geographically-based groups there's one specifically about Freightliner - "Freightliner-Gen" (and doubtless lots of others I don't know about). To be honest I very rarely look at it these days(since FL stopped running to Seaforth container terminal) but looking at it now, I know that the 4L97 Trafford Park - Felixstowe service passed Milton Keynes at 10:27 behind 66517. That was posted at 10:34.

Hope this helps

Jim

Your best bet would be to join wnxx.com interactive forum.there us a questions section and normally someone will be able to answer the " I saw a 66 northbound outside my window what was it ?" type questions so you can score the engines off

Your best bet would be to join wnxx.com interactive forum.there us a questions section and normally someone will be able to answer the " I saw a 66 northbound outside my window what was it ?" type questions so you can score the engines off

Thank you for reminding me about this site. I missed the number of a Class 73 at Peterborough on Saturday and have just seen what it was on this site.

I'm pleased about that, thank you.

Archived