Mix & match - Lenz 5amp booster with a Prodigy system

muddys-blues

Hello, does anybody know if I would be able to use another make of booster with my Gaugemaster Prodigy system ? I have seen a Lenz 5amp booster and just wondering if there would be any issues with if working with the Prodigey system, I will be running 7mm Heljan locos so there can be quite and amp draw on the system if running say 2 at any one time.

Many thanks in advance

Craig.

A booster is simply a signal amplifier, so if it is intended to run a power district isolated from the Prodigy's output into a separate power district there should be no problem. The only minor caveat is track voltage matching for a smooth transition as a loco crosses from one power district to another; track voltage output is adjustable on the Lenz so that can be dealt with.

If the booster will be supplying the same power district as the Prodigy then the sensitivity of the short circuit protection needs to be matched; no experience there. My instinctive preference would be KISS, use the same brand.

Hi, I can run upto 5 Haljan O gauge locos on my own prodigy, plus we have one at my club and that has run 4 plus another scratch built A4 with no problems. If you do need a booster I would agree that its best to use the same brand.

regards

mike g

Archived