Minerva Peckett- sound not working on some DCC systems

brianthesnail96

Slightly odd one here...

I've a Minerva Peckett with EDM sound. When I first got it it made all the right noises on my layout- I'm only using a basic DCC system (Multimaus) so I don't have the full range of functions available. I then ran it on the club track (Prodigy I believe) and used the volume up/ volume down functions (in the high 20's) to adjust the volume. Since then it doesn't make any noise at home, but still works at the club. Clearly adjusting the volume has upset the Multimaus' ability to tell it to make noise- does anyone have any suggests as to unconfuse it? Preferably in idiot proof terms...

Ta!

Matt

Matt,

I am using a Powercab and I had a similar problem. The short-term answer for me was to reset the decoder to factory setting (CV8 = 8) or each time I switched on I had to activate F28 to return the sound!

I believe EDM is on holiday at the moment but I intend to email him when he returns for a definitive answer.

Willy

Glad I'm not the only one! Cheers for the info on the CV reset. It was fine until I meddled...

Expect Paul is off playing with the real thing again!

Playing at Perth show, as it happens.

At this distance, it's hard to determine exactly what the issues are in your individual cases, but it may help if I explain how the live volume control works. The volume control is a decoder function independent of DCC controller type (except that on lower specified DCC systems, access to high Fkeys may not be available).

If F27 is engaged, the sound volume level will reduce continuously, until either F27 is disengaged, at which event the volume will remain at the then current setting, or if not disengaged the sound is reduced to silence. This is the new 'default' volume level and will remain at this level unless changed again. So, if the sound volume has been reduced to zero, it will remain silent whatever DCC system operates the loco next time.

There are several ways that you can 'recover' the sound if volume level has been adjusted to zero, whether deliberate or not.

1  ) Engaging F 28 to raise the volume level is perhaps the most straightforward if you have access to this F key.

2  ) Volume can be instantly returned to any level you require by setting CV266 to the required value. Project default is 64.

3  ) Resetting the decoder with CV8 = 8 will set CV266 to 64, but it will also remove any changes to CV values, including loco ID, which you may have made, so often this will be the least convenient option.

Kind regards,

Paul

Playing at Perth show, as it happens.

At this distance, it's hard to determine exactly what the issues are in your individual cases, but it may help if I explain how the live volume control works. The volume control is a decoder function independent of DCC controller type (except that on lower specified DCC systems, access to high Fkeys may not be available).

If F27 is engaged, the sound volume level will reduce continuously, until either F27 is disengaged, at which event the volume will remain at the then current setting, or if not disengaged the sound is reduced to silence. This is the new 'default' volume level and will remain at this level unless changed again. So, if the sound volume has been reduced to zero, it will remain silent whatever DCC system operates the loco next time.

There are several ways that you can 'recover' the sound if volume level has been adjusted to zero, whether deliberate or not.

1  ) Engaging F 28 to raise the volume level is perhaps the most straightforward if you have access to this F key.

2  ) Volume can be instantly returned to any level you require by setting CV266 to the required value. Project default is 64.

3  ) Resetting the decoder with CV8 = 8 will set CV266 to 64, but it will also remove any changes to CV values, including loco ID, which you may have made, so often this will be the least convenient option.

Kind regards,

Paul

Thank you Paul.

Try as I may I could not get the sound back to normal after I had played around with F27/F28 so I just engaged F28 each time I powered up.

In the end I reset CV8 and that was no problem because the loco ID was all I had changed and it was no bother to reset that.

Otherwise it is a great little loco and a joy to drive using the F2 braking.

I thought you were on holiday so I didn’t want to disturb you.

Willy 

Thanks as ever for that informative answer Paul. Reset of CV8 will do the trick as I've not even changed the loco number on this one. Interesting that it does seem to do the same thing as Willy's where it stays silent until F28 is engaged (which I can't do on my basic set up here of course).

It's the other Paul I suspect may be off faffing about with Fairlies!

• RMweb Gold

It's the other Paul I suspect may be off faffing about with Fairlies!

• Was on holiday
  • Back now
  • Hadn't seen this or anything addressed directly to me
  • For decoder issues your just as well talking to pauliebanger as i would have just referred the issue to him
  • Up until now I was only aware of one customer issue of the sound going off but before it got looked into in any detail it magically returned the next time it was put on the layout (without a controller change)
  • Was faffing with Fairlies, am d!cking about with diesels at Beamish next w/e, and later on will be Grappling with Garratts and in September Lounging about with Lyd at the L&B gala

This is the only place I've broached the question Paul (and it wasn't a complaint as I suspect it's a result of my meddling in things wot I should not, i.e. anything not involving waving spanners about). As the right Paul has answered it was the right thing to do anyway :)

Hope you enjoyed your Fairlie faffing!

Archived