EMD F59PH

stock_2007

William, apparently Kaslo Shops do (or did) a resin body kit for this - see the bottom of this article FP59. However, the Kaslo Shops website is being rebuilt at the moment, and I can't see a way of getting any useful information out of it. I guess you'll just have to keep checking back until it's up and running again.

Actually, I know the Kaslo Shops office (not the factory) is about 2 miles away from me as I'm typing this. But it's run out of the owner's house, I don't know the address, and it's not available from the site at the moment, or I could have phoned to get you details.

Thanks for the information.

However, trying to access that contact page directly, even clicking on the link in your post, brings up a page obviously under construction - nice background picture, but only 'sample' data on it, no real contact information for Kaslo Shops.

post-1771-126825253279_thumb.png

Kaslo definitely did an N-scale kit - I have one (and I must finish it sometime). It is quite a nice piece of resin with a lot of etched steel details. If you do get one, ignore their recommendation for a chassis (Athearn F59PHi) as it doesn't fit (grrr!), and use an Atlas GP40 chassis - the older, non-DCC version fit with only a minor trim at the top.

I'm pretty sure that George's Trains in the Toronto area still has one of the N-scale kits available http://secure.hostdeziners.com/www_georgestrains_com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2282

I don't know if they ever did one in HO - but I think they did. I think the kits were an exclusive for George's Trains.

Adrian

I tried phoning John Whitmore, the owner of Kaslo Shops, but got an answering machine, so I sent him an E-mail. Here's my E-mail and his very prompt reply:

Q: Do you still do the F59PH Phase 2 bodyshell in HO scale? If it's still available, what's the cost?

A: At this time I do not have any in stock. I will be ordering some tonight and will likely take 2-3 weeks to come in. Check back with me at that point. They retail for $99.95 each

I presume that's Canadian dollars. The Kaslo Shops E-mail is jwhitmore@shaw.ca, as Dutch_Master said in his post above.

wow $100 for a shell, pricey, does it come pre-painted and detailed?

Usually that would include a mass of detail frets and extensive instructions. The F59PH was also used by GO transit so there may be additional parts included to detail different users.

HTH

David

As a stopgap type of thing till I can find a F59PH I've found out that METROLINK have one F40PH number 800 so I could try!! and redo a KATO F40PH

In the past I've picked up decal/transfers from Macs models (not needed any in a while) but I'm not sure if the new people do this type of thing can anyone point me to a site for this type of thing so to go gone B)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I also would like to model an F59PH but a GO Transit version. According to my research an F59PH is basically a GP60 chassis / frame with an F40PH body...

My train of thought (sorry about the pun!) is obtaining a GP60 / GP60M / GP60B and kitbashing it with an F40PH body and adding a 3 window safety cab (available separately) or a cab off a SD60M (UP / BN / BNSF 3 window cab)...

What are anyone's thoughts (if any) on this???

Eric

Hi looking at the side on photos of a F40PH and a F59PH I think there is a lot more to it then changing the cab I was thinking along the same lines I was going to use a cab kit of a Canadian safety cab but I've put on hold in the hope I can pick up a body kit apart from the fact that I'm still working on the layout that it will run on B)

Yes, I've seen that the Kaslo site is still being redeveloped... What pictures were you comparing... I don't think it would be that hard to kitbash one... My biggest concern is getting all the dimensions correct but can't find any scale plans anywhere...

Eric

I would think that a kitbash of an F40PH body would look like that - a messed up F40, not an F59. Among other things, the crease at the top of the bodyshell isn't in the same place.

F59PH

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=290475&nseq=26

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=239147&nseq=11

F40PH

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=317656&nseq=9

If you are feeling wealthy and want to do modern GO Transit, the MPI MP40 is supposedly coming:

http://www.pacific-western-rail.com/announcements/view.php?ID=1085

You would then need 10-12 coach trains, which is the current standard.

The F59PHs ran with 6 coach trains on some lines up until 2008.

You could paint an F40PH as one of the 5 that GO had, since sold off to Amtrak.

Also, True Line Trains do a GO Transit GP40, but you would need an APU/ACPU unit to run with it, since that series of GP40 didn't have HEP.

Adrian

Archived