Superquick vs Metcalf platforms

From the USA.  The Metcalf 00 scale platform (which I have) can be assembled in a moderately curved form.  I cannot tell from looking at catalogue pictures whether the Superquick platform is "straight only" or can also be built with a slight curve.  Please advise.

George

North Carolina

I have both Superquick and Metcalfe platforms on my main layout.  The Superquick one (if made as per the instructions) only makes (fairly narrow) straight platforms.  If you want to have passenger trains larger than 2 coaches you would have to have additional kits to extend the basic kit.  Although the individual Superquick kit tends to be cheaper than the Metcalfe kit, the price advantage vanishes very quickly indeed.

In contrast, the Metcalfe platform kits can be built as curved platforms, island platforms, bay platforms etc.  They are very flexible.  The instructions tell you how to do templates so that the platforms match the curves of your layout.  As has been said above, you also get a lot more platform per kit.

I would consider Metcalfe platforms as an option for future layouts.  I doubt that I would bother buying Superquick platforms.

Archived