Can 3D Printing Revive the Model Railroading Hobby?

Personally no...It can gives us one off prototypes and variants that we've never seen. But still too costly to revive anything. It's only keeping it going (not that model trains are near their end). Wel already complain about current prices...Not sure 3D printing is near as affordable.

Agreed. Pricing is rarely good for railway modelling but you have the opportunity to make and buy things not yet in the mainstream.

009 and N modellers are fortunate in that their loco's and rolling stock do not take up much room and time to print so the smaller the model the bigger the advantage in terms of affordability. As a 4mm modeller I find it rather expensive but other than getting a printer yourself (saving) we will have to just wait I guess.

As for saving the hobby you can blame games consoles. MUCH cheaper, easier and less effort in all ways.

In my opinion there is a key word missing in most of the recent threads on 3d printing: "Yet"

It may not be making dramatic changes to the hobby right at this very moment. It is pretty clear what direction it's headed in.  

I didn't even know the hobby needed reviving, I see it as thriving, RTR in particular is going from strength to strength. I see 3D-printing allowing people to play around with small-runs of things that the casters probably wouldn't want to do.

I think from reading many comments here about 3D printing, is that most here are looking at it from wrong angle. People have got far too used to cheap(yes considering the quality) r2r and r2p models. Those buying them are getting older, and I wonder if there are enough younger people coming into the hobby, so who will buy those models in the future. 

Said it before, but comparing 3D printing with hand built models then 3D printing is not as bad value as some think. Immediately when I opened that link I saw the building. Now to have a professional model builder create that traditionally, then it will cost a lot. Using 3D printing is a good alternative, and it is probably a new younger group of designers coming into the market. It is not just the cost, but those traditional model builders are getting older.

Designing for 3D printing shares a lot of skills with those designing for computer games and other video based products. Now that suggests to me that those same , mainly young people might also design models for 3D printing. I came into this after working in IT. I can see the parallels, and know that the technology is moving very fast. Just don't expect it to be cheap.

On fully reading the article, it is saying much the same as what I have been saying. Learning to use any CAD software will become essential for many jobs, not just design ones. Companies will not want to have to hire expensive outside contractors to design stuff, and it will fall to those in the office. Not that different to what has happened ith other office based software, although I think in some cases you do need a better understand. Time will tell.

Now if those in the hobby don't want to tempt those with the CAD skills into the hobby, then fine, just don't grumble when the hobby shrinks.

The museum project is taking right approach, teaching people to use the CAD software. There is less need to teach actual 3D printing skills, the use of the machines etc. One reason why I am concerned that some schools spend money on actual 3D printers, without really understanding what they have bought. Useful to demonstrate the process, less useful to teach students the real skills of 3D designing.

Archived