RMweb

Bachmann 37 and Loksound V4 issues

birdbath

Evening everyone.

I've recently had an interesting fault develop on one of my Bachmann 37/4s fitted with a loksound V4 21 pin chip, loaded with Legomanbiffo's excellent 'west highland' project.

The loco will go for a few operating sessions perfectly normally.  Then, for whatever reason, the motor (I presume it's the motor) will start humming whilst the loco is sat still.  I can't remember if it is in forward or reverse off the top of my head, but it's always in the same direction.  The loco won't move in that direction, but changing direction silences the humming and it'll drive off just like normal.  Change direction again and the humming returns.  All lighting and sound still works perfectly in either direction.

Oddly enough, the solution so far has been to take the body off, unplug the decoder, plug it in again and off you go.  Fine for the next few sessions.  Then the problem returns.  I've also tried doing a CV8 reset, but this made no difference.

I've been dabbling in DCC for a decade or so now and never come across a problem like this before.  Usually things either work or don't work!  And smoke coming out of things you haven't fitted a smoke generator to is usually a bad sign too!

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks for taking the time to have a read.

Roger.

Evening everyone.

I've recently had an interesting fault develop on one of my Bachmann 37/4s fitted with a loksound V4 21 pin chip, loaded with Legomanbiffo's excellent 'west highland' project.

The loco will go for a few operating sessions perfectly normally.  Then, for whatever reason, the motor (I presume it's the motor) will start humming whilst the loco is sat still.  I can't remember if it is in forward or reverse off the top of my head, but it's always in the same direction.  The loco won't move in that direction, but changing direction silences the humming and it'll drive off just like normal.  Change direction again and the humming returns.  All lighting and sound still works perfectly in either direction.

Oddly enough, the solution so far has been to take the body off, unplug the decoder, plug it in again and off you go.  Fine for the next few sessions.  Then the problem returns.  I've also tried doing a CV8 reset, but this made no difference.

I've been dabbling in DCC for a decade or so now and never come across a problem like this before.  Usually things either work or don't work!  And smoke coming out of things you haven't fitted a smoke generator to is usually a bad sign too!

Roger.

Try fitting the decoder in another loco to see if the fault continues.  This might isolate if the decoder or loco is at fault.   Also what speaker is in the loco and is it 4ohm's.

Charlie

Try fitting the decoder in another loco to see if the fault continues.  This might isolate if the decoder or loco is at fault.   Also what speaker is in the loco and is it 4ohm's.

Charlie

Hi Charlie.

Speaker is one of your 58x22 Bass Reflex ones.  It's definitely a 4 ohm!  I've used them in several locos now and never had any problem.

Hi Charlie.

Speaker is one of your 58x22 Bass Reflex ones.  It's definitely a 4 ohm!  I've used them in several locos now and never had any problem.

Does the fault continue in a different loco, if it does then send it back to where it came from to get exchanged assuming its not being damaged etc.   Charlie

• RMweb Gold

Something is caught in the drivetrain or......the drive train is suffering from bachmanns trademark grease spattering....needs a good a strip down and thorough clean (i personallly use an ultrasonic bath) and then a light and i stress light :) regreasing.

or.....there is a fault with the motor, does the loco only play up when you stop it or does it grind to a halt when its running? if its the latter then I would say the motor is at fault

Evening everyone.

Roger.

I'd try running the loco on it's back in a cradle etc and check all axles are turning in both directions when powered. A common problem with some 37's is the drive cup in one or both flywheels works loose, thereby loosing the drive to the bogie at one end and stalling the motor, causing a hum.  Stripping down the chassis will allow access to the flywheels, any loose drive cups can them be removed cleaned and glued back in with some epoxy resin etc.

It's also worth checking that the retaining clips on the top of the bogie drive worms are secure on both bogies.  If it's a 37 410 Ali 100 - these models had issues with loose flywheel drive cups.

I'd try running the loco on it's back in a cradle etc and check all axles are turning in both directions when powered. A common problem with some 37's is the drive cup in one or both flywheels works loose, thereby loosing the drive to the bogie at one end and stalling the motor, causing a hum.  Stripping down the chassis will allow access to the flywheels, any loose drive cups can them be removed cleaned and glued back in with some epoxy resin etc.

It's also worth checking that the retaining clips on the top of the bogie drive worms are secure on both bogies.  If it's a 37 410 Ali 100 - these models had issues with loose flywheel drive cups.

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply.  I'm pretty sure it's not a mechanical issue, as unplugging the decoder then plugging it in again always sorts the problem.  But I'll give it a try anyway!

Archived