paint colours for sai station chateauneuf

bluedepot

hi everyone

can anyone suggest what paint colours i should buy for painting the sai station kit chateauneuf?

kind of cream walls and red roof i presume but if anyone has the names or numbers for good realistic paints to use that would really help.

also when building a plastic kit do u suggest painting the parts first and then assembling?

what glue is best for not melting paint and creating a mess???

cheers

Tim

• RMweb Gold

I prefer to paint afterwards except for any bits that are difficult to reach. On that kit (looking at photo on SAI website), you might want to paint the walls  before adding the bargeboards.

I can't quite make out the type of tiles but you probably want an orange shade rather than red. Walls some sort of beige normally but it varies quite widely across the network.

I rather think that that kit is not genuinely French but probably a German kit by Auhagen. As such, it might be worth changing the roof.

Edit: Yes, just checked Auhagen and it is a German station kit.

• RMweb Premium

Tim

Personally I would chose to paint the sides, windows and the window surrounds separately before gluing all together.  I guess the choise is down to how steady your hand is with a paint brush and how critical your eye is regarding the finished product..  My eye tends to be critical and my hand less steady than I would wish.

I use MEKpak* or equivalent glue - but be sparing but not too sparing when near to painted surfaces.  With acrylic paints or Humbrol style oils the impact of a little liquid on the paint will be minimal.  If you flood the area you may have a less pleasing effect. 

* available from Slaters and others, but also available as MEK, Butanone, Methyl Ethyl Ketone and other names from many sources including the inevitable Ebay. 

Once the sides are glued together, be prepared to touch up the edges with a bit more paint.

This is an are where there are no rights and few wrongs.- you just need to find what suits you.

• RMweb Gold

Apart from wrong roof tiles, the other aspect of that building which, for me, makes it look wrong is having a window ground floor centre, where I would expect there to be a door. Possibly worth cutting one out.

Also the style of the doors and windowframes is not right (lacking in glazing bars).

Archived