Digikeijs DR4024 servo decoder and Programming on ECoS 50200

bigal10

Can anyone assist?

As the title suggests, I'm having problems trying to read CV values on my ECoS.

I can write the CV values, but that's not very handy if you don't know what they are before you start to edit!

I have read, and re-read the Digikeijs manual, (in English, printed on A4 from the PDF download, so I have the biggest page available), but whichever method I use, programming on program, or programming on Main, when I try to read CVs, the ECoS switches off track power, and returns an ERROR message.

I have tried all combinations of having DCC feed to both Signal and Power inputs on the DR4024, and DCC feed only to Signal, and 12v DC to Power, plugging the DCC input into my DCC Prog bus, or my DCC track bus, with the same result, of ECoS shutdown on trying to read.

The track feed from my ECoS is set to 15.9v, so as to allow my (many) Zimo sound decoders to function with their 6.8mf super capacitor, without putting undue stress on those decoders.

The DR4024 (or did I say DR2024 ?) is currently set up in test mode, on top of my workbench, with various types of servo attached, - I have discovered that HK analogs do not hold position, whereas HK digitals DO hold a locked position! I am also using the Digikeijs addon for crossing control, to switch LED lights as a setting indicator, - works very well!

I can use the Digikeijs' suggested method of setting servo end points, by using the train controller set to Loco number 9999, but I suspect I will want to amend various CVs, like speed and lighting effects, not to mention fine-tuning the end positions once everything is screwed in place!

Any advice gratefully received,

Regards,

Alan.

Hi I think you need a resistor in port 1 to work I have added the instructions for the DR4018 16-channel switch decoder where it say about reading on a program track  

“(1) CV Programming / reading through the programming track This common way of programming can become rather complicated. The decoder must first be prepared by placing a 150—270 Ohm resistor on output 1 as shown in the diagram. The resistor ensures that there is a resistance on the programming track, which your control unit requires as confirmation that a module is present and that the programming commands have been received from the control unit.”

Richard

Hi Richard, and thanks for the reply.

I think, however, you may have misunderstood my question.

I am referring to the Digikeijs DR4024, which is a dedicated Servo Decoder, with 4 servo connectors, and plus 4 switch outputs.

The 4 servo outputs are numbered 1 to 4, and the 4 switch outputs are numbered 5 to 8, although the switch outputs can be either independent or associated with the servo outputs.

This unit is quite unlike the DR4018 which has 16 discreet switch outputs, and as you say in the Digikeijs manual it specifically shows a resistor to be used in number 1 output for initial programming - in fact just like ESU do with the SwitchPilot!

This would appear to be so that the controller (ECoS in my case) senses an object against which to work, and the programming works fine.

The Digikeijs DR4024 is like the SwitchPilotServo, and has 4 servo outputs, and Roy (or is it Rod ?) Keij specifically says on page 14 (or page 16) in the manual, that the decoder does not require an additional resistor, for programming, as he has built one into the unit.

So I am still at square one, and cannot READ the CVs without ECoS falling over!

I have posted on ESU forum, with no replies so far!, so next I will try John at DCC Train Control, and also Digikeijs own message service.

Regards, and thanks for the reply, anyway,

Alan.

Just in case anyone is still wondering about a solution, Roy Keij at Digikeijs suggested unplugging the servos, "as the ECoS does not have enough power to allow reading of CVs on the prog track, with them plugged in"

So I persevered (in a sweltering 45deg loft) yesterday, and came up with solution, which I didn't understand.

Which was, to utilise the button marked "XL" on the right hand end of the top line of DCC programming on tab 2 of the ECoS settings menu.

I had no idea why this worked, but it did, and unfortunately Roy's suggestion of servos in or out made not a jot of difference.

I am now able to both READ & WRITE CVs at will!

As I could not find any mention of this button, either on the ESU website, or the update notes that come with every ECoS Firmware update, I posted a query on the ESU forum, and soon a chap from Luxembourg came up with an explanation.

The XL button is for users of ESU Loksound XL decoders, and boosts the output to the Prog Track only, as these decoders need more power!

Interesting, anyhow, it seems to work OK!

All I have to do now, is grow longer arms, so that I can reach the Prog button on the DR4024 when I need to program it in situ.!

Oh, and work out how to swap the DCC feed to the DR4024 from DCC track to Prog Track when I need to program it in situ!

Regards,

Alan.

• RMweb Gold

Could you not pre-program it, keeping a record of your settings then fine tune it using POM when in place, again keeping a note of changes you make.

If you are likely to make more frequent/major changes you could use a DPDT switch to switch its feed between main track and programming track.

Archived