Martin Stewart's system for 2FS flat bottom turnout construction

Graham R

In the 2mm layouts out and about thread, Don asked about Martin Stewart's flat bottom turnout construction method which he demonstrated at the Scottish supermeet:

It looks a great idea be interesting to see a shot of the laser cut timbers. I am likely to stick with Bullhead and chairs but this could possible be used with that too.

Don

I took some photos at the Perth show in June, where Martin was demo'ing on the Scottish Modellers stand, but I forgot to post them until now. Here they are: hopefully fairly self-explanatory, although I am not sure how he fabricates the crossing, maybe there was a jig for that as well which I didn't see.

I don't know if or how Martin will take the idea forward but maybe this will prompt him to add some comments!

The system described:
post-7032-0-96937900-1469114134_thumb.jpg
The aluminium jig to build the basic turnout: at left, the guide for cutting 2mmSA PCB sleepers to length
post-7032-0-85708700-1469114144_thumb.jpg
The populated jig:
post-7032-0-29963000-1469114143_thumb.jpg
With the laser-cut wooden sleeper mats, which I seem to have got upside down:
post-7032-0-54519100-1469114139_thumb.jpg
Turnout placed over mat:
post-7032-0-73177400-1469114137_thumb.jpg
Completed unit sprayed with primer:
post-7032-0-26892800-1469114136_thumb.jpg

Graham

The jig looks like very much the Canadian Fast Tracks as they have milled on the surface :). Fast Tracks is able to made jigs for what ever gauge or dimensions you like. I have turnout jigs made by Fast Tracks for H0 gauge and for N gauge.

http://www.handlaidtrack.com/

Petri Sallinen

Helsinki, Finland

Hi Petri

You are very much correct.  I started designing these jigs to meet current British sleeper spacing and 9.42mm gauge then approached Tim Warris at FastTracks for assistance.  He asked for a sample of the rail I was using to allow him to tighten up the tolerances then produced the jigs for me.  It's difficult to see in the photos as the aluminium is so shiny but it has 'Produced by FastTracks Hobbyworks Inc' machined into the jig.

To file the different sections of rail, I am using the standard No.8 and No.10 Code 40 filing jigs already produced by FastTracks and these make machining the rails so simple and easy.

Graham, thanks for posting these photos.  I'll build a crossing over the weekend and take photos at each step as it is quite simple to produce but different to the techniques used with Bullhead rail.

Thanks

Martin

Hi Petri

You are very much correct.  I started designing these jigs to meet current British sleeper spacing and 9.42mm gauge then approached Tim Warris at FastTracks for assistance.  He asked for a sample of the rail I was using to allow him to tighten up the tolerances then produced the jigs for me.  It's difficult to see in the photos as the aluminium is so shiny but it has 'Produced by FastTracks Hobbyworks Inc' machined into the jig.

To file the different sections of rail, I am using the standard No.8 and No.10 Code 40 filing jigs already produced by FastTracks and these make machining the rails so simple and easy.

Martin

Sounds great! Our five feet gauge is 9,52 mm in 1:160 scale. I like very much jigs made by Fast Tracks — so easy to use and you will get beautiful turnouts.

Petri

Archived