Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

For those who like old Motorcycles.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Kickstart said:

I saw a picture just a couple of days ago of a Honda where the swinging arm had pretty much snapped. Corrosion on the lower side, and then fresh metal where it had cracked. Scary.

All the best

Katy

CX500/650?  Well known for it, Pan Europeans aren't immune either.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

CX500/650?  Well known for it, Pan Europeans aren't immune either.

Just a Honda XR125 . Possibly most surprising bit is that being a chain drive bike I would expect the swinging arm to be hollow for that area, and free to drain at the adjuster end.

All the best

Katy

• Like 1

Z550 Kawasaki's suffered from water collecting in the frame rails, usually the first sign was the bike falling over as the prop stand lug tore off.

It always surprises me how a lot of frames are made, water is bound to collect and has no drain hole to escape from.

What seems to be a really common fail is pillion footrest mounts, the construction of most is an ideal scoop for rain, salt and mud. But they could just as easily be filled with rustproofing wax etc by owners.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

This is the original front frame rails for my Bandit 1200. Owned by me from new and garaged pretty much its entire life. The frame had been powder coated, which ironically might have made this worse by making the tiny drain hole a bit more blocked.

All the best

Katy

23000144_10156015170037216_2391276192124828588_o.jpg

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I'm certain that anyone designing such things realised that they will rot out because of mud traps, but it doesn't matter when most people buy bikes as summer toys and trade in every couple of years.

The internal rust was probably well advanced when you had it powder coated to be fair. 

I've just spent Saturday afternoon straightening out a Toyota Verso that a friend had smashed up. Everything behind the plastic front bumper that can't be seen had next to no paint on it, primer showing through everywhere. I thought we had left that kind of thing behind in the seventies.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

23 hours ago, Kickstart said:

As to female bike riders, there was this event at the Triumph factory earlier this year:-

https://www.visordown.com/news/general/triumph-play-host-largest-womens-biker-meet-moto-advisor

Gosh, how things change.  "The Triumph factory Visitor Experience" indeed.  I once had a visitor experience at the Triumph factory.  It was in Meriden, I was visiting to collect a new Bonneville, and I was graciously permitted to eat in the works canteen.  Can't remember how much I paid for my lukewarm beans on toast, but I do remember the teaspoon on a chain alongside the tea urn on the counter ...

• Funny 3

On 06/11/2022 at 17:48, Kickstart said:

... side stand switch isn't fitted ...

OK ... am I correct in guessing that modern bikes have a switch that stops you riding off with the prop side stand down?  If so, where's the fun in that?  Does yer modern biker miss out on the jolt, lurch and "clang" as the stand reminds you of what you forgot to do?

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

What it actually does is get full of muck and rain, causing the bike to stop again just as you've pulled out of a petrol station on the A6 up to Kendal in the pouring rain, or at a set of traffic lights in the middle of Preston in my experience. Two different bikes! Best solution is unbolt, throw away, connect wires together permanently.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Yes side stand switches can be a pain! But while it works I will fit it for now.

Last year a friend had a go on my Cagiva Freccia. They were riding slowly so I pulled over. They said "there is something wrong, a grinding noise on bends". The side stand was down. They had only ever ridden bikes with a cutout when the side stand was down and the bike in gear, which the Cagiva just has a flashing warning light (that is well hidden behind the control cables).

All the best

Katy

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Tiny bit done on the FZR600.

The fuse box holder is rubber and they rot. They also don't appear to be available on their own. Used on other Yamahas I think.

So I have designed and 3D printed a replacement. I have printed this in TPU.

All the best

Katy

314961138_10161021489532216_6575138975923561010_n.jpg

314772478_10161021489617216_9126639751554984004_n.jpg

314970307_10161021489847216_8185906426300303135_n.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Eastbourne, according to the BSAOC. Mid to late fifties at a guess.

OK, but on thinking about it scrub Jempson's if Paul Dunstall's is open tomorrow.  I once got a pair of very nice swept-back pipes for a T100 cheap from there ...

314496941_648453693393762_17504085332307

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

In 1969 Dunstall was listed as Well Hall Road, London SE9, if someone wants to have a look at Street view? That shop is number 156.

In April 2021 it was an Estate Agents....

edit: and a quick Google indicates it still is.  What a waste.

Edited by polybear
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

It's a very nice bit of engineering and obviously taken quite some time to build.

But.

If you want a four cylinder, five or six speed bike with indicators and in some cases modern wheels, forks and brakes.

Go out and buy a new one.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, sandwich station said:

Could be a 350-4 engine. My brother imported one from America to the UK.

It has the 400/4 clutch cover (350/4 is different). Has a 400/4 rear brake pedal and wheels too.

The Dragonfly was 350cc anyway, which also suggests that DVLA weren't informed.

Edit: just found it on here:

https://thewindmillclub.org/2022/01/20/pedal-bikes-e-bikes-motorbikes-and-classic-cars/

Edited by Coppercap
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1