Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

For those who like old Motorcycles.

DDolfelin

5 hours ago, spikey said:

I am once again puzzled by the things people do to bikes nowadays.  What's with this business of wrapping fibreglass (?) ribbon round exhaust pipes? What's it supposed to do?

Originally designed to deflect the heat back inside and out the end of exhaust pipes and to quieten them down, nowadays they are used on retro customs to hide rusty old pipes or seriously amateur welding long enough to flog the bike on eBay...

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Well, the FZR600 started and ran yesterday. Although the word "ran" might be a bit generous. Exhaust temperatures are all over the place, which suggests the left 2 cylinders are running, and the right 2 are only occasionally contributing.

Carbs have been apart loads of time. Coils and leads measure up as pretty much in spec (one cap is slightly higher resistance than spec, but not much out)

All the best

Katy

• Friendly/supportive 3

Bit more of a look. Cylinders 3 & 4 are certainly not contributing much.

I checked the float height on one carb last night. On these downdraft carbs you check the float height by instead checking the fuel level in the float bowl, which you do by attaching a clear piece of pipe to the float bowl drain and then opening the drain screw. Did this and the level was way too low. I cannot find a figure for the actual float height. I took the needle valve assembly out again and looked at the needle. Realised that the replacement needles I used are ~0.5mm longer than the ones I had replaced. This is presumably messing up the float height.

So looks like the carb rebuild kits were rubbish.

I have ordered another rebuild kit from a reputable supplier. Fingers crossed.

All the best

Katy

• Friendly/supportive 3

The FZR now runs! The carbs now need balancing, but I have managed to lose some of the adaptors for my vacuum gauges (my fault, knocked over the container - I have found 3 of each size but not the 4th!)

It isn't charging the battery, but to be honest I am not surprised as I have a feeling I swapped the regulator / rectifier from it onto my TZR250 when that one failed (they are common to loads of Yamahas). Getting the airbox back on is proving to be a nightmare. The rubbers from the carbs to the airbox have shrunk and hardened, and I can either get them to stay on the carbs or in the airbox - but not both. I have left the attached to the carbs for now, and will leave them there for a few days to hopefully regain their shape a bit - then glue them to the airbox.

No pictures - I have a video but can't upload that here.

All the best

Katy

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Battery?

Cant  see  a  magneto,  the  cylindrical  thing  below  the  handlebars  may  be  a  coil,  a  spark  plug  lead  is  behind  this  and  a  lead  coils  down  the  front  downtube  and  disappears  to  somewhwere  on  the  engine,  likely  a contact  breaker.

Pete

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, IWCR said:

Battery?

Cant  see  a  magneto,  the  cylindrical  thing  below  the  handlebars  may  be  a  coil,  a  spark  plug  lead  is  behind  this  and  a  lead  coils  down  the  front  downtube  and  disappears  to  somewhwere  on  the  engine,  likely  a contact  breaker.

Pete

Probably a battery for the "trembler coil" ignition 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

Probably a battery for the "trembler coil" ignition 

That's what I was thinking, The Ford T cars had it all in a wooden box on the running board iirc.

Looks like an interesting (terrifying) thing to ride though!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hiya

Still slow progress on the FZR600. Mostly done. Rear caliper is currently soaking in acetone to degrease it prior to cerakoting it. Then it can be reassembled and put on the bike.

However the engine is being a big of a pig. I have had to take the plugs out, get them clean and hot with a blow torch and put them back in to get it running, and even then once running I would strugle to keep it running.

I think I have found the major issue. When I rebuilt the carbs I replaced the pilot jets with those from the rebuild kit (the originals are a pain to get out, and easily damaged when doing so). I took the float bowls off on Saturday to check the jets, and took out the new pilot jets. On inspection they appear to be significantly larger than the original ones. Which probably explains why it was running horendously rich at idle. Swapped them out for some from a spark bank of carbs and had it idling OK, and balanced the carbs.

I briefly started it on Sunday morning without a problem. But think I have flooded it again (as I couldn't get it to start later yesterday).

Either way, it is getting there

All the best

Katy

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Kickstart said:

... I have had to take the plugs out, get them clean and hot with a blow torch and put them back in to get it running ...

Gosh, I remember doing that on one or two ancient British bikes.  It's fun, isn't it, screwing mad-hot plugs in without starting to cross-thread 'em ...

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, spikey said:

Gosh, I remember doing that on one or two ancient British bikes.  It's fun, isn't it, screwing mad-hot plugs in without starting to cross-thread 'em ...

Especially on bikes like this where the plug holes are buried between the cams, and you need to unbolt the radiator to get to them!

aLL THE BEST

kATY

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 minutes ago, spikey said:

Did that have the trick levers?

It's some sort of hipstermobile. 

There is a whole jungle of chinese-made bikes in the 125 to 250 range based on old Suzuki designs. They often have left-side exhausts, hence the crudely welded stainless leg-burner here. 

The drum front brake and clip-ons halfway down the forks are "kewl". Same applies to the inverted levers. 

Sometimes they appear under half-forgotten names (I saw one badged as a Francis-Barnett a while ago) but they are all much the same. 

• Informative/Useful 1