Triang X04 Motor and DMU Drive

RED ONE

After moving house to downsize, I am a pensioner, I have built a new layout. Most of my collection have been in the attic for two years and before I run them I intend to overhaul them, fit new wheels etc. The units I intend to overhaul are mainly triang, jinty etc and blue Pullman/ dmu units which mean more to me as memories than they are worth. A new DCC shunting layout is in the planning stage for the day I move to a one bedroom accommodation so this layout is analogue.  What I would like help with is it possible to fit a capacitor to the motors to assist with stalling over points. I have a feeling that this could be rather a large capacitor so could it be possible to link small capacitors in parallel to achieve the same thing. The test dock shunter does not stall over the points so this is a query as to is it possible to fit a capacitor at this stage of the refurbs?

After moving house to downsize, I am a pensioner, I have built a new layout. Most of my collection have been in the attic for two years and before I run them I intend to overhaul them, fit new wheels etc. The units I intend to overhaul are mainly triang, jinty etc and blue Pullman/ dmu units which mean more to me as memories than they are worth. A new DCC shunting layout is in the planning stage for the day I move to a one bedroom accommodation so this layout is analogue.  What I would like help with is it possible to fit a capacitor to the motors to assist with stalling over points. I have a feeling that this could be rather a large capacitor so could it be possible to link small capacitors in parallel to achieve the same thing. The test dock shunter does not stall over the points so this is a query as to is it possible to fit a capacitor at this stage of the refurbs?

You would need a very big capacitor - or a very large number of small ones to make a significant difference. Best bet is to make sure all pick ups are good, wheels and rails are clean, and that the points are properly flat.

The biggest problem with DC is that you cannot use an electrolytic capacitor because it will only work with the polarity one way round and you could never reverse the engine.  Non electrolytics are way too small. in microfarad terms, to be of any use.

You could experiment with lots of ceramic caps crammed into the dock shunter body.  Not sure what happens to electrolytics if you connect them the wrong way round, I know they explode if you charge them with too many volts.  Model railway 12 volt is circa 19 volts so don't use 12 volt caps.

Clapped out dock shunters have equalised suspension, the armature holds the wheels down so all 4 are on the rails at all times.  K's mk1 and Mk2 5 pole armatures fit if you shorten them. Use single start TT worms on them.  They also fit X04   Power bogie armatures fit K's Mk 1 and Mk2 but Not X04, the commutator is at the wrong angle.   Best power bogie is the Transcon/ Dock shunter one with the X04 from pre 1960 as the spur gears provide a fywheel effect

Pullman / DMU is the same. Co Co A1A A1A have plastic armature bearings so straight in the bin while Hymek has nasty plastic worm wheels which rapidly wear again K's 5 pole armature fits

The Jinty is best scrapped, unless it is a pre 1960 chassis with mazac wheels in which case you can easily fit a decent motor/gearbox  flywheel  Romford wheels and a Bachmann body. There is not much to be done with the 70s to 2000s Jinties , the motor pre 90 sits too high or is too feeble post 90.   Pre 90s are fine out on the main line but hopeless shunter and its easier to start with a different chassis than try to make a silk purse out of Sarah Palin..

The best pure shunter I ever had is a Wrenn 08 bought new 40 years ago and fitted with Romford 60: 1 gears.  It has a protesting over revving top speed of a scale 30 and can be crawled along ridiculously slowly, about 10 feet an hour.

You would need a very big capacitor - or a very large number of small ones to make a significant difference. Best bet is to make sure all pick ups are good, wheels and rails are clean, and that the points are properly flat.

I was afraid that would be the answer. I am now going to attach extra pickups to the rear bogies of the blue Pullmans / DMU's to extend their contact area. The Dock shunters I will remove the armature, re wheel and build a High Line Flyshunter with a 108:1 ratio in a box van/ shunters trolley and use the dock shunter as the extra pickups to the FlyShunter. I have not yet tried building a flyshunter but have seen one in action on an exhibition layout, watching a van move on its own is quite an experience. Thanks for your advice.

Archived