Unknown oil fired Peckett? loco

I have been trying to identify this locomotive and its location. Possibly South Wales or North East England. Loco is oil fired and I think is a Peckett. Wallsend Slipway had an oil fired peckett but the spectacle plates are the wrong shape and that loco had dumb buffers. Any ideas?

Ernie

It is a W7 class Peckett if that is any help.  The W7 (introduced 1938) with those tapered cab windows replaced the W6 which had round ones but there was some overlap as I once owned a W6 built in 1940.  The oil tank on the cab roof certainly resembles those used on other Wallsend slip locos such as Borrows No3 first preserved on the NYMR.

Ray.

It looks vaguely familiar, especially the buildings visible in the top-left corner. I'm wondering what sort of industry might take in, or send out, goods in opens/ shocks?

I wondered about Pilkingtons: sand in, glass out and they had oil fired locos. Cannot find any record of them having a W7 though.

I wondered about Pilkingtons: sand in, glass out and they had oil fired locos. Cannot find any record of them having a W7 though.

From what I remember of the integrity of the hopper bottoms of the sand wagons for Pilkingtons, I'd expect to see dribbles of sand all over the track; the only muck I can see is oil and grease.

• RMweb Premium

Blowing the picture up to full size, there are a lot of newish looking broken bricks scattered about.  Could it be something to do with a brick & tile works?  (although whether production or delivery end of the process I couldn't say).

Moxy

Any joy with the nameplate on the side of the saddle tank?  Many of these locos (e.g. those supplied to Royal Arsenal, Royal Ordnance, Llanelli Steel, Hadfields Steel) carried names - but it isn't clear in the reproduction here.

• RMweb Gold

Blowing the picture up to full size, there are a lot of newish looking broken bricks scattered about.  Could it be something to do with a brick & tile works?  (although whether production or delivery end of the process I couldn't say).

Moxy

Some look like firebricks to me. Furnace or kilns?

Great that confirms my latest research. The previous slide is of one of the cut down locos at Llanelli Steel works. Having learnt from this topic that the Peckett was a W7 a bit of digging revealed that w/n 2025/42 built for the Ministry of Supply had ended up at Llanelli after spells at Hirwaun, Bridgend, then Abelson & Co as a hire loco. named Charles

link to flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/5869442644/in/photolist-9WEqNY

Thanks everyone

Ernie

Mr. Williams, It should look vaguely familiar - being one of the Llanelli Steel Works fleet.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60790501@N04/8433866072/in/photolist-dRgLy1

Brian R

In my defence, the original shot, which seems to have disappeared, was much too tidy. The shot you linked to, Brian, is much more as I remember it. I'm trying to place exactly where that first shot was taken- I think the twin grey buildings may have been part of the old 'Old Castle' works, latterly used by Thyssen as a stores and joinery shop.

In my defence, the original shot, which seems to have disappeared, was much too tidy. The shot you linked to, Brian, is much more as I remember it. I'm trying to place exactly where that first shot was taken- I think the twin grey buildings may have been part of the old 'Old Castle' works, latterly used by Thyssen as a stores and joinery shop.

Such is progress (or urban regeneration) Brian. 

Brian R

Archived