Caley Sleeper 66/73 Combo

Bon Accord

It would appear the introduction of the rebuilt 73's on the sleeper services has seen mixed results (to put it kindly), such that it's now very rare to see a 73 either operating alone or in pairs. The current usual formation is a 73/66 working in mulltiple whereby it seems the 73 is acting in the capacity of a very expensive ETHEL unit.

That being said, there are occasions where I've noticed the 66 to be inside the 73. Since the 66 isn't ETH/ETS fitted, how is the train supplied. Have a small number of 66s been through wired temporarily?

Guest eddie reffin

The issue seems to be that the 73s alternators can't cope and go pop on full power. They can't also be washed in a conventional washer due to water ingress problems!

The Inverness combo gets turned every day through the triangle in Platform 5 so that the 66 leads, correctly as you say so that the 73 can act as an ETHEL! Progress apparently.......

Not sure what happens at Aberdeen as it's always tucked away at Clayhills when I'm through there.

The issue seems to be that the 73s alternators can't cope and go pop on full power. They can't also be washed in a conventional washer due to water ingress problems!

The Inverness combo gets turned every day through the triangle in Platform 5 so that the 66 leads, correctly as you say so that the 73 can act as an ETHEL! Progress apparently.......

Not sure what happens at Aberdeen as it's always tucked away at Clayhills when I'm through there.

Thanks Eddie. I think the Fort William sleeper may still be using 67s.

I've just left Aberdeen on the mid morning HST and watching the 73/66 on the fuel road prior to departure got me thinking.

P.S. I did notice that the 73 was filthy in comparison to the well turned out 66!

Guest B Exam

The Fort William portion is solid 2x73/9 as a 66+73 combination is too heavy for alot of bridges and viaducts on the route.

Archived