Above-baseboard solenoids and yoghurt pots

Pete 75C

I've just fitted some of the new Gaugemaster solenoids in the fiddle yard. They're mounted on the Peco adaptor bases above the baseboard for covenience and they obviously won't be on view. Now, I remember someone on RMWeb who covered the solenoids with a load of those oval yoghurt pots (Munch Bunch, maybe), ostensibly I think just to keep the dust off. I clearly remember the pics but can't for the life of me remember the thread. The scenic section of the layout will have a cover when not in use, but the fiddle yard won't, so dust protection makes sense. Now the question is (apologies if it's a stupid one)...

...should the yoghurt pots only be used when the layout's inactive? I'm not aware of solenoid point motors generating any heat, so could the pots be kept on all the time? I would prefer not to peek behind the backscene and discover a pool of molten plastic!

Thanks. Two four-packs of yoghurt purchased. Buy one, get one free as well, result. It is the Munch Bunch pots that are the perfect shape. I might even get to eat one or two before the kids spot them in the fridge...

Archived