Airbrushes - Try before you buy

Well after a month or so of owning my Iwata SBS airbrush I am happy to report that I am still very satisfied with my purchase.  The SBS is a side feed model and came supplied in a smart box with a small spanner, tube of oil and a paint cup.  I first used it to spray Tamiya acrylic on a plastic model and immediately I was impressed with results.  I tried it on other models using Revell acrylics, Humbrol enamels and acrylics and Railmatch enamels.  All results have been excellent.

For cleaning I just filled the cup with the thinner for the paint that I was using or just plain water and sprayed this through the airbrush.  I also covered the end so that the air fed back through the airbrush to clean the internals.  So far, I have only once had to dismantle the end and remove the needle to give it a wipe.  I found the small cup a bit limiting so I contacted the Airbrush Company and discussed what they had available.  I bought 20 plastic bottles and two bottles with the side feed suction tops.  this has enabled me to mix up greater quantities of paint and any not used can be secured and stored for future use.  I use a permanent marker to record the contents on the side of the bottle.

It is satisfying to know before going to spray something that the results will be excellent.  As a result, my railway modelling activity has taken a back seat as the airbrush has renewed my interest in the large amount of plastic and whitemetal kits I have in my "stash".  Whereas before I would rely on auto motice spray cans to paint plastic car bodies, I have now been able to get better results with airbrushing Revell and Humbrol acrylics.  Similarly, I have been able to get much better results with camouflage schemes on planes and military vehicles.  I was really impressed with the coverage I achieved on some Ratio and Coopercraft wagon kits using Railmatch GWR grey enamel.  Although I have the entire paint ranges for Revell and Humbrol acrylics and some of their enamels and Tamiya acrylics, I want to expand it further by purchasing the entire Life Colour acrylic range and/or Vallejo Air acrylic range during a visit to Australia this weekend.

I was also interested in getting a single action airbrush but after discussing this with the staff at the Airbrush Company, it became evident that my SBS would do anything that I would think I would get from a single action airbrush - the Iwata has managed to save me money too!  Instead I bought the paint bottles adn will look to buy more of them as my paint range increases.

If like me you are asking yourself what airbrush to buy that will last you a long time that can be used for general modelling and for applying fine paint detail effects, that is easy to clean and maintain and will paint at low pressure and give you perfect results every time, then my recommendation after a lot of thought before buying mine, would be to buy the Iwata SBS side feed airbrush from the Airbrush Company (usual disclaimer).

Regards,

Steve

Archived