How do I use all the outputs in a Zimo MX644D

nimbamoss

Hi all,

I would like to have full control of all lights so they can be operated independently on my Bachmann class 47 436

I have done to some success on a Bachman class 40 by changing the Bachman board out and using a ESU 51968 board and rewiring to suite (Esu V34 chip used).

Now I am using a Zimo MX644D from Digitrains and was wondering if I could use all 6 functions available on the zimo to control headlights, heacode lights, tail lights and cab lighting.

I have looked at the Zimo replacement board but this has a warning for use with the MX644D.

Can I get away with soldering direct to the 21pin socket?

Picture attached of the circuit board, it also seams to have some pads associated to the tank switches...

Thanks for looking and thanks in advance for any help.

Ian

post-7092-0-52395700-1471711923_thumb.jpg

I've done a similar lighting mod to a Bach 47 710 although it uses a Lok 4.0 and a TCS FL2 .  Using a Zimo MX644D should be possible, perhaps even easier with it's 8 ?  outputs. I removed the tank switches and wiring completely.

One point to watch, is the nose end lighting boards have 4 wires connecting them, the markers and headlights being linked to the same circuit. If you want independent headlights, the wiring will require altering. Having only 6 outputs available to use, I decided to just keep the existing linked circuit.  To get it all to work as I intended, I eventually found that I had to remove the wire at point C and connect it to point D at both ends.

The Aux 1 and 2 solder tabs on the main circuit board can now be used for 2 outputs, and remaining new wires soldered to the 21pin plug terminals (not the decoder) for the remaining outputs using the Zimo Manual/diagram for the FO's / pin layout.

http://www.zimo.at/web2010/documents/MX-KleineDecoder_E.pdf

HTH

Ken

post-2215-0-72839900-1471716457_thumb.jpg

If wanting to replace the board in the loco with something more suitable the Zimo ADAPLU board used with a MX645p22 decoder will give you ten functions (compared to eight available on the MTC-21 MX644D). Looks like the MX645 is a pound cheaper too. 

Archived