HobbyKing

Theakerr

For the info of Canadians on the thread.  I am starting to play around with servos and HobbyKing seem to be the place to go to.  They state in their advertising that they supply to Canada though their US West Warehouse.  They do but at US$38 for a US$3.00 item (plus the stuff the GoC slaps us with)  !!!.  I suppose they can argue that they meet their legal obligations but there is truth in advertising and then again truth in advertising.  FYI, their international and Australian warehouses see my IP address and will not ship saying I have to do it through the US warehouse. If anyone has a way round this problem would appreciate feedback otherwise it is China where they will send them for free

Hi

I don't know about the US/Canada operation but I have been using HobbyKing for a couple of years now.  I have ordered from the UK, European and International (Singapore) warehouses and have only had one problem when an item was not included. This was quickly sorted our with a credit being issued.  When ordering, I would suggest that you keep an eye on the postage rates (by setting up the order as far as the postage page and then going back and adjusting the order if necessary) as they can jump up very quickly and it is sometimes cheaper to do two or three smaller orders that one larger order.  LiPo batteries always make the postage costs higher. Delivery time to the UK from Singapore is normally just over a week, so not excessive.

One other suggestion is that you are better not to back order items as they don't put the non-backorder items aside until everything is in stock.  I got into the situation where while waiting for a backorder item to arrive something else went out of stock and this delayed my whole order.

Overall I am pleased with the quality and service provided by HobbyKing and would recommend them to others.  My only grumble is that most spares and boat items are only available from the international warehouse.

Regards

Roddy

Thanks Roddy.  I did not try the UK outlet but I did try the international and the EU outlet (as well as the Australian outlet) and they would not ship to my IP address.  I could only buy from the US where house.  Some sort of restrictive trade practices although I must be mistaken because the good Capilisitic US does believe in free  trade, right?

The restrictions are built into the ordering system, in the UK we can only order from the UK, Europe and International Warehouses.  Why not try the International warehouse, the postage rates might not be that bad, but customs charges could be!

Roddy

The internet and the world of electrons continues to amaze me.  For two days their system would not let me order from Hong Hong (international warehouse?).  I go their this am and I now have 4 units on order at a very reasonable price for both shipping and unit cost.  Is it me or the "system"?  I do use Safari and I have had an odd problem like this before.  Should mention that I have had several electronic conversations with their people who have been incredibly helpful.  Whatever, Canuks it works now.

Archived