Sig-naTrak formerly CML SIGM20

Just a heads up to any folks who have been asking the same thing I have over the years. The new owners at Sig-naTrak who recently took over CML's range of Loconet compatible control circuits, have compiled a solution for using the SIGM20 signal logic board to drive tortoise motors controlling semaphore signals via the former CML RLY2 relay board directly with no need for expansion board plug-ins like the DTX8B. This means that set to two aspect red and green signals up to 8 semaphores can be directly controlled using tortoise motors from the SIGM20. Using the RLY2 which includes a transistor to step up the input from LED driver mA to something switchable is straight forward and a tech note was forwarded to me over the weekend following Sig-naTrak performing testing on the solution. Simply connect the relay board to the outputs of the SIGM20 12 volt and signal red and common terminals and you are away. I will be setting this up once I get some relay boards.

This will mean however for those interested in prototypical signalling that the signal will be in the off position more often than the prototype would have normally been that is when a coloured light would show green aspect the signal arm will be in the off position which is a small price to pay for having signal logic in place that is suitable for UK layouts with semaphores instead of coloured light signals. Normally the signal would only be off when the signalman says it should be so but still better than nothing!

I have attached a copy of the technical note for those interested.

post-26600-0-41326600-1471958392_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...

Glad you found this Tech Note useful. We will be incorporating it into the next edition of our user manual and on our website to help semaphore signal users who want (almost) prototypical automated signalling.

This can also be used to mix semaphore and colour light signalling as the SIGM20 doesn't know the difference.

• 1 month later...

Well I have finally gotten around to installing and wiring up the SIGM20 and a buddy of mine who plans to use them too asked if I would do a video on how I use ribbon cable and IDC connectors to install it. Hope this is of interest. I have built my coloured light signals and will wire them up shortly. I have finally got my Locobuffer connected to my MacBook so I should be able to download the software now to program the SIGM20 and get the coloured light signals working. Then it will be on to the semaphore signals next. I think I will build a test board for both kinds as a kind of test.

Archived