Sound for an Atlas H0 Master Series Dual Mode GP40?

Hi Guys.

Having fitted quite a few UK diesels with sound, I now want to do my only US loco.

I have an Atlas 'Master Series' Dual Mode GP40.

I can see that I will need a couple of Sugar Cubes in the tanks underneath but what about the chip.

I'd like the latest ESU sounds and have heard that you need to buy a complete new drop in circuit board. The board in mine is marked  #340.

Has anyone done one of these?

Does anyone know if these are available in the UK please?

Cheers

Dave

Hi Guys.

Having fitted quite a few UK diesels with sound, I now want to do my only US loco.

I have an Atlas 'Master Series' Dual Mode GP40.

I can see that I will need a couple of Sugar Cubes in the tanks underneath but what about the chip.

I'd like the latest ESU sounds and have heard that you need to buy a complete new drop in circuit board. The board in mine is marked  #340.

Has anyone done one of these?

Does anyone know if these are available in the UK please?

Cheers

Dave

I did this two weeks ago in an Atlas GP38 which uses the same mechanism.  I used a ESU/Loksound Direct Select decoder, new LED lighting, and was able to fit an iPhone speaker over the decoder very easily; one of the ESU 50321 sugar cubes should fit very easily and sound excellent.  As you can see I was able to keep both the Atlas weights intact.

post-751-0-87313100-1472133349_thumb.jpg

Hi Craig, neat installation, where do you get iPhone speakers from and which do you get? I've looked on ebay but there's a few different ones.

Nick

I've gotten them from a couple of ebay sellers.  The ones I've been using are specifically for the iPhone 4/4S.  They can be shortened by 2/3s and still sound quite good.  Look for them in quantity of ten or more where they can be had for little more than a dollar each with free shipping from China sometimes.  If you have room to fit two wired in parallel, they're quite loud too!  My other trick from ebay is a 3M product called 300LSE.  It's a double sided adhesive film - comes in varying thicknesses and is used in the real world to do things like stick the touchscreen to your mobile phone's frame...so it's very sticky.  Versatile in decoder installs as it holds the small speakers handily but can be peeled off if you need to get into the mechanism or such.

I've gotten them from a couple of ebay sellers.  The ones I've been using are specifically for the iPhone 4/4S.  They can be shortened by 2/3s and still sound quite good.  Look for them in quantity of ten or more where they can be had for little more than a dollar each with free shipping from China sometimes.  If you have room to fit two wired in parallel, they're quite loud too!  My other trick from ebay is a 3M product called 300LSE.  It's a double sided adhesive film - comes in varying thicknesses and is used in the real world to do things like stick the touchscreen to your mobile phone's frame...so it's very sticky.  Versatile in decoder installs as it holds the small speakers handily but can be peeled off if you need to get into the mechanism or such.

Thanks, Gary for the pics and the further info on fitting.

Much appreciated.

Dave

You guys fitting sound to locos may be interested in a recent discussion on Big Blue Forum started by a gentleman in Germany (Schraddel) http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8922&p=162081&hilit=4+speakers+in+loco#p162081 which includes ideas about the use of a group of 4 speakers, and comparisons with others of different varieties.

On a couple of the sound decoder mailing lists there's guys who do much of what that German guy is doing.  I've done some of my own experiment and for sheer ease of installation with good sound quality the iPhone speakers are tough to beat.  A friend makes four speaker arrays and I'm not convinced they sound any better.  BUT...judge by YOUR ear, not mine :)

Craig

what's the thickness of those i4 speakers, I've 2 Atlas RS3's to do, and they may save me having to mill the weights 

Ray

0.195" at the thickest point, 2.075" long but they can be shortened to as little as 0.9" inches; just have to plug the opening made where you cut off the length of the chamber.  The speaker itself is at one end.

Hi Guys.

As the OP I thought Id let you know how things are progressing.

Spoke to Coastal DCC and Kevin has just got the ESU Loksound Select Direct back in stock.

He's blown one with the sounds I want and it is on the way to me.

I've obtained a couple of IPhone 4s speakers from eBay to fit. Good job I got 2 as they seem to be 24 ohms each. Will have to parallel them. They are much smaller than a usual Sugar Cube, so it remains to see how they sound.

I'll take some pics when I fit the chip etc.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Dave

Hi Guys.

As the OP I thought Id let you know how things are progressing.

Spoke to Coastal DCC and Kevin has just got the ESU Loksound Select Direct back in stock.

He's blown one with the sounds I want and it is on the way to me.

I've obtained a couple of IPhone 4s speakers from eBay to fit. Good job I got 2 as they seem to be 24 ohms each. Will have to parallel them. They are much smaller than a usual Sugar Cube, so it remains to see how they sound.

I'll take some pics when I fit the chip etc.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Dave

24 ohms?  I seem to remember getting about 6 or 8 ohms on mine.  In any case, I have put two in parallel and it's quite good, especially on a snorting rattling Alco...

Hi Guys.

Thought I'd let you know how I got on with the GP40.

Coastal DCC came through with the Loksound Select Direct, loaded the sound file and delivered it today, 1st Class post. Brilliant service!!!

When I read the instructions it stated max (8 ohms) so I ditched the Iphone speakers ans went with a Sugar Cube (8 ohms) I had. (Later noticed another part of the instructions says 4, 8 or 16 ohms.)

Got the speaker in the tank at one end but now may well try the iPhone speakers after all.

Anyway. Great sounds and love the way 'Full Throttle' works. Can see this appearing on some UK chips soon.

post-509-0-90917000-1472852989_thumb.jpg

post-509-0-16815300-1472852991_thumb.jpg

post-509-0-00462700-1472853047_thumb.jpg

post-509-0-48791600-1472852992_thumb.jpg

The white plastic card is packing and will be cut back to the speaker's edge.

post-509-0-74598600-1472852993_thumb.jpg

post-509-0-11572100-1472852995_thumb.jpg

post-509-0-34038600-1472852996_thumb.jpg

post-509-0-67792300-1472852997_thumb.jpg

post-509-0-91396000-1472852998_thumb.jpg

post-509-0-17734100-1472853000_thumb.jpg

The speaker appeture is covered with a fine black cloth to stop bits getting onto the speaker's 'dome'.

• 1 month later...

Archived