Hornby HST with TTS

Johnfromoz

Hi Paul,

Its not my video buddy. But I will bear that in mind for when I get a few more sound models :). I just posted the video as to help out the OP.

Thanks for your help in posting this. The usual youtube limitations plus the fact it is TTS seem to have combined to make it a pretty characterless sound. But then the MTU engines are bland in comparision with the Old Valentas. Still, for the money its pretty good value.

It would be good to know if transferring the TTS to other power cars is as easy as transferring the earlier TTS chips to other diesel locos.

Anyone had a look inside yet?

John

Thanks for your help in posting this. The usual youtube limitations plus the fact it is TTS seem to have combined to make it a pretty characterless sound. But then the MTU engines are bland in comparision with the Old Valentas. Still, for the money its pretty good value.

It would be good to know if transferring the TTS to other power cars is as easy as transferring the earlier TTS chips to other diesel locos.

Anyone had a look inside yet?

John

Hi John,

With the later power cars. I think they have changed to a design on the chassis to make adding sound much easier. So I think its a matter of just unbolting the speaker from its fixings, disconnecting the decoder and then transplating the whole lot over to the other chassis. But I would assume that if the same cooling group on a FGW HST bodyshell for example. Perhaps just a swap of the bodyshells would be a better and a easier option? I haven't tried this as of yet as the only experience I have is that the 2008 standard Class 60 and the DCC sound Class 60 models from Hornby used different setups for the lights. But that was 8 years ago, so I would assume that the bodyshells and the light units etc all be commonised now to keep costs down? :).

Hi John,

With the later power cars. I think they have changed to a design on the chassis to make adding sound much easier. So I think its a matter of just unbolting the speaker from its fixings, disconnecting the decoder and then transplating the whole lot over to the other chassis. But I would assume that if the same cooling group on a FGW HST bodyshell for example. Perhaps just a swap of the bodyshells would be a better and a easier option? I haven't tried this as of yet as the only experience I have is that the 2008 standard Class 60 and the DCC sound Class 60 models from Hornby used different setups for the lights. But that was 8 years ago, so I would assume that the bodyshells and the light units etc all be commonised now to keep costs down? :).

Hi Ash, thanks for the reply and info. Yes I think transplanting the TTS (possibly with a better speaker) is as easy as the earlier TTS locos. I have several full rakes and am too tight to shell out for another full virgin set when they are released!!!! With regard to your idea of just swapping bodies, not really feasible I'm afraid as two years ago Hornby changed the lights from contact springs to hard wired and mine are all pre that modification. Still, I will happily transfer the TTS sound as it is a cheap option. A good video on youtube has been uploaded by Don Paul.

Cheers

John

Archived