Converting GWR Siphons to BR

Hi all - I've lurked around these forums for a while pinching plenty of hints and tips but this is the first time I've got something specific i could do with some help with.

I recently inherited 4 old Lima Siphon Gs in GWR livery - it's the inside framed ones with the Roundel in the middle.

Everything I have is geared towards early 60s BR so i'm planning a bit of a conversion job on them - painting them maroon (and the roof grey) and adding running numbers etc. so they would end up looking something like the RTR BR ones Lima did:

post-29930-0-24408700-1472379690_thumb.jpg

Then i'd give them a good weathering because BR apparently never cleaned them!

So far, so good, but i've got a couple of questions:

1. What's the best shade of Maroon to use? I'm sure I've read somewhere that the maroon used on non passenger stock was lighter than that used on coaches and wasn't the bauxite used on wagons. Does anyone know a suitable shade to use? Preferably in acrylic.

2. In terms of the running numbers, I was hoping to use transfers but can't find a BR Siphon set - Railtec do a yellow GWR set but i'm guessing the font is wrong - though it's the closest i can find to the cursive text that it looks like is used for the Tare weight at the end of the carriage. Anyone with any ideas or tips?

Any help would be appreciated - i can't find many prototype photos to work off (they all seem to be in BR blue!) so a lot of what i'm going off is old photos of other models, which may be wrong anyway, so feel free to correct anything i've got wrong.

Also, I've already found discussions on the bogies, which do need to be changed, but at the moment i'm just trying to get the livery right!

These vehicles tended to be in dirty Crimson, rather than maroon.

There used to be a kit of etchings available to update the bodies to represent the final version (O62), which were built by BR from 1951 to 1955; these had extra vents in the bottom of the sides, with covers like those found on ferry vans.

I've done quite a few of these, both the O59 type that Lima model, and the later BR build. On most, I used ABS 9' heavy-duty bogies, with solitary examples with a 7' bogie and an 'American' bogie.

One day, I'll do a Newspaper conversion, and perhaps one of the ones that were converted as Ambulance Coaches during WW2: these had the louvres plated over, and a couple of windows fitted, along with coach-type ventilators in the roof.

The Siphon G must be one of the most suitable cases for treatment as regards weathering.  It was often impossible to determine what colour they were under the layers of crud.  A good seeing-to will help to disguise the fact that the planking is wrong for all but a few examples.

For the sake of completeness it should be mentioned that Modelmaster sell a sheet [4423] of suitable lettering in yellow.  The etch for the vents on the O.62 is in the Blacksmith range, sometimes available from Coopercraft.

Chris

• 1 month later...

Thanks to everyone who helped with this query - in case anyone was wondering how they turned out, here's a piccy!

Ended up going with the Halfords Vauxhall paint and model masters transfers which both worked well - bogies need sorting next!

post-29930-0-57549600-1476036153_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi Southwell - I've been doing rather similar, and I found this page on RMWeb really useful

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/33111-best-replacement-wheels-for-old-lima-coaches/

I followed Arian Wintle's advice at post 18, and have just put Bachmann Collet bogies on my Lima Siphon G. That saves buying new wheels, and having to change the very heavy Lima couplings. The Bachmann bogies take a bit of fettling to get right (ride height) but it isn't difficult.

There's also this thread, with some useful photos:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/50833-detailing-lima-parcels-vans/

I hope this helps - it always amazes me how much information is floating around on RMWeb!

John Storey

Whoops! Good Knowledge, though I'm not sure I can be bothered to change them - is there an online database or way of knowing which numbers were for the internal framed ones?

There is a book published by HMRS which is out of print and being revised.  I don't know of an on-line database but here is some info copied out of the book.  I will leave out those converted into newspaper vans and Enparts as they underwent structural alterations.

2051 - 2060 and 2066 had 7 ft wb bogies.  2766 had 9 ft wb pressed steel bogies, as did 2920, 2921, 2926 and 2931.  Some had heavy pressed steel bogies and to be honest I am unsure of how these bogies differed from the others.  Suitable numbers include 2937, 2941, 2942, 2944, 2946, 2985, 2986, 2987, 2989/90/91/92.

Apologies for giving you extra work

Chris

Brian, thank you.  I had forgotten about that link.  For anyone else thinking of doing up a Lima Siphon G, bear in mind that Diagram O.62 is the one with the side vents built in BR days and Diagram O.33 is the one on which Lima based the model.  Diagrams O.59 and M.34 differ significantly from the O.33 and consulting the HMRS book would be a very good idea if contemplating a model of them. 

Chris

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Doing up the Lima involves no more than replacing the incorrect BR1 bogies with Collett 9', assuming you are happy with it as your prototype and don't want another diagram.  One of the simplest and most effective improvements there is!

Archived