The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

SS Robin. The Last Steam Powered Coaster

Bernard Lamb

I was very fortunate yesterday to have a chance to look over the SS Robin.

She is the last survivor of a once large fleet.

Built on the River Lea in 1890 of 350 gross tons she is about 143' in length.

Somehow she survived in service in Spain until around 1970. Many of her sisters only had a life of around 20-25 years.

On return to the UK she was restored and after various adventures is now sitting on a purpose built pontoon in The Royal Victoria Docks. Ironically just over a mile from her birth place.

National Lottery money has got her this far but a permanent home is needed. The pontoon contains a large open area that could be used as an exhibition venue.

The boiler and engine are still in place although converted to oil firing and the coal space incorporated into the hold.

Internal fittings include most of the telegraph system and the rod and chain steering mechanism. (Very much like point rodding).

Bernard

post-149-0-92537200-1472633667.jpg

Excel Centre to the left and London City Airport to the rear.

post-149-0-04412200-1472633690.jpg

post-149-0-71464600-1472633706.jpg

post-149-0-41139900-1472633718.jpg

The chart room leading to the Masters cabin.

The desk probably dates from the 1970 restoration. The floor tiles appear to be Spanish as do those in the Master's wash room. The Master's quarters seem to be very luxurious when compared to other ships of the period. The crew's quarters are just an empty space at present and are very cramped in contrast.

• RMweb Premium

Good to see the Robin has survived and is in reasonable shape. I recall when returned to the UK she was called Robina! We are pretty bad at conserving steam era maritime heritage so important this one is cherished.

Dava

• RMweb Premium

I remember seeing SS Robin when 'she' was in the dock at Canary Wharf before all the Crossrail stuff started. Glad to see 'she' is still in existence and I hope a suitable home can be found.

I thought it was on the pontoon because the hull wasn't in any state to keep it in the water, or do you mean they're looking for a home for ship and pontoon together?

It is going to stay on the pontoon.

The hull is in reasonable order with several plates welded over the corroded areas.

Some of the original plates are rather pitted, particularly near the waterline at the bow and although watertight would have a reduced life span if exposed to water with any sort of tide or current.

Bernard

Archived