peco elecrofrog 3 way point issues Help!

Dan Griffin

Good evening.

I am having some issues with some peco three way electrofrog points. there have PL-13 switches underneath but no point motor, they are changed by hand. the layout is DCC but this isnt a DCC issue. I tested the layout before I ballasted it and weathered the track and all was good. now I am testing it all with a Hornby sentinel and Bachmann 03 so that the short wheelbase shows any dead sections. the problem I am having is that one or two routes from the points are now non operational, as soon as the loco runs over the insulated section it stops dead. it doesn't even short out so there no power. would I be right in assuming that some of the pva/water mix I used to fix the ballast has somehow seeped into the PL-13 and gummed it up preventing the frog from being live? the rails and blades and absolutely clean, I have cleaned all of those very thoroughly. all of my normal points work fine now they have been cleaned which I why I believe its the PL-13. opinions please.

PL-13s are cheap (albeit not at Pecos prices) nasty things IMO. Not quite certain how you are switching them  without a point motor but I presume you have  a downward rod attached to the point motor. I have replaced all PL-13s with microswitches. Trick is to get one that is sprung lightly enough, bought some from Rapid which were had springs far too strong. This Maplin one works fine.

Archived