Jon Fitness' average 7mm signals workbench.

• RMweb Gold
On 29/09/2023 at 17:22, Jon Fitness said:

According to Mr Smiths GWR signalling tome, the frontal diameter of the indicator was 2ft with 13.5" letters/numbers..I think the print I was given was only about 11mm instead of 14mm diameter. They were set on posts about 15ft ARL.

JF

My information was taken direct froma GWR official source - the General Appendix might of course be wrong but at the figure was published in an amendment and was never altered/corrected in any later amendments I'm presuming that it was correct.

Alas I tend in various matters of its contents to class Mr Smith's signalling  tome alongside the egg which the curate received.

• Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, steve fay said:

Now at home on St Stephens bank,  it was drawn up in 3D based on the drawings from this book but sometimes there is shrinkage when then 3D printed.  That said it looks great in place. 

IMG_7817.png

IMG_3278.jpeg

Ah, I see it is definitely 2ft diameter...

Ah, I see it is definitely 2ft diameter...

Edited by Jon Fitness
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Now then. I know I havent posted anything for a while but I'm in need of a little info if anyone can help me. I've been commisioned to build this signal but in my enthusiasm to get it designed and etched, I've made a bit of a booboo. 

Screenshot2024-01-142.jpg.bc1a2eee4b50af407501e9c8b27544fa.jpg

I know exactly how a GWR route indicator works and and how it fits to a straight post signal, both wood and tubular types (quite different in arrangement. What I cant work out is how they were fitted to wooden posted bracket signals. I have a few "front on" pictures but no side on ones. I'm presuming a bracket fixture from a small doll but my design pushes the thing way too forward so that the linkages simply won't line up. The arrangement for the wooden post on a straight signal uses the bracket I've had etched but it's all wrong! Was the "cash register" type unit fixed directly to the short doll or...er..well, I don't know!!

Screenshot2023-11-16164950.jpg.c5907f0385c9bd19cead1b8ad714a85e.jpg

The drawing uses a composite of my etch drawings but I hadn't given enough thought to it obviously!

DSC_0104.JPG.d6273da0e6fa914c0be4cec6c0ec7a1e.JPGDSC_0111.JPG.a8cc42aac630635916c72c2856271b6b.JPG

Hoping someone has a useful pic....😬

JF

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jon,

I can't help with prototype photos or drawings, but my solution in 4mm scale is in this video:

Because it's platform mounted I assume all the weight bars and slotting are in a pit below the main post!.

RIMG0637.JPG.89fd2e45e1e81f5d86c5ab627df28348.JPG

RIMG0640.JPG.0a6cdddd8154e9daf408f67a99b3f570.JPG

The route indicator is assembled from a MSE etch, and from memory (its not clear in the photo I'm afraid) I mounted it on a short piece of channel section brass attached to the bracket work so that the operating cranks could line up with the flags.

Hope this helps , but I can't claim its authenticity.

Steve.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

8 hours ago, Steve Hewitt said:

Hi Jon,

I can't help with prototype photos or drawings, but my solution in 4mm scale is in this video:

Because it's platform mounted I assume all the weight bars and slotting are in a pit below the main post!.

RIMG0637.JPG.89fd2e45e1e81f5d86c5ab627df28348.JPG

RIMG0640.JPG.0a6cdddd8154e9daf408f67a99b3f570.JPG

The route indicator is assembled from a MSE etch, and from memory (its not clear in the photo I'm afraid) I mounted it on a short piece of channel section brass attached to the bracket work so that the operating cranks could line up with the flags.

Hope this helps , but I can't claim its authenticity.

Steve.

Hi Steve, thanks for that! Pretty much how this one will be built now. I'll just have to alter my etched bracket to bring it all in closer to the structure. Out with the Dremel and razor saw now😑

Cheers

JF.

PS, I'll be up at the bus Friday to Sunday if you want to meet up for a pint or something!

11 hours ago, RailWest said:

I've attached a side view of the one which used to exist at Yeovil Pen Mill, although it may well be of course that bracket dolls used a different method than straight posts.

P2070006.JPG

Ah, that's on a straight post but many thanks anyway. Always useful to have piccies!

On 16/01/2024 at 12:22, Stephen Freeman said:

Both types p48 Great Western Signalling. Reading West

They are indeed, got the book. It's the closet I've got and I wish there were some side on drawings to go with the front on ones on P54.

Hang on though what's that drawing on P59 I hadn't seen before? DOH!

DSC_0112.JPG.72ef48aeaa5f52caeee3ef4c82eafb0c.JPG

I need to study more diligently.😒

Many thanks for everyone's help. Specsavers next week I think...😵

JF

Edited by Jon Fitness
Replace missing pix.
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

7 hours ago, Jon Fitness said:

They are indeed, got the book. It's the closet I've got and I wish there were some side on drawings to go with the front on ones on P54.

Hang on though what's that drawing on P59 I hadn't seen before? DOH!

I need to study more diligently.🫣

Many thanks for everyone's help. Specsavers next week I think...

JF

Old Oak Common, for those without the book, it's a little unusual as the bracket is attached to an embankment wall with no main vertical post, still answers the questions though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Jon Fitness said:

Ah, that's on a straight post but many thanks anyway. Always useful to have piccies!

It was also an oddity in that the lower part of the post was concrete (without any lightening holes)

Straight post platform mounted signal at Reading -

post-6859-0-54357300-1324135935copy.jpg.b2f10911624307e752c38f9884fbaeb8.jpg

And here is a photo that includes the baclk of the one that interests you -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Old_Oak_Common_Yard_geograph-2574255-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

One showing the structure of the bracket before it was finally cut down (after its use as a colour light signal structure and then its end in even that use -

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Old_Oak_Common_Depot_class_47_geograph-2396992-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

26 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

It was also an oddity in that the lower part of the post was concrete (without any lightening holes)

And here is a photo that includes the baclk of the one that interests you -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Old_Oak_Common_Yard_geograph-2574255-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

One showing the structure of the bracket before it was finally cut down (after its use as a colour light signal structure and then its end in even that use -

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Old_Oak_Common_Depot_class_47_geograph-2396992-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

Embarrasingly I'd already built that OOC signal about 9 years ago!

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

overcentresig.jpg.5d0f2d1b8c218f365423f3f96e733e05.jpg

2 hours ago, Jon Fitness said:

Embarrasingly I'd already built that OOC signal about 9 years ago!

I too have built it in 4mm scale but spec was for a not working version, though it could have have been. I have a photo somewhere...

Edited by Stephen Freeman
adding photo
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 17/01/2024 at 13:35, The Stationmaster said:

Do you have a date for that photo Mike I dont remember  that one  did I just miss it?

Don

On 16/01/2024 at 12:07, RailWest said:

I've attached a side view of the one which used to exist at Yeovil Pen Mill, although it may well be of course that bracket dolls used a different method than straight posts.

P2070006.JPG

Somewhere I have seen or have a photo of a signal at Churston, which had a Cash Register but cannot remember whether i was a bracket signal or not, I will keep my eyes open.

• RMweb Gold
On 30/01/2024 at 17:20, Donw said:

Do you have a date for that photo Mike I dont remember  that one  did I just miss it?

Don

Don it lasted until Reading reignalling in 1965.   The tubular steel post version in my photo was replacement for an earlier signal with a timber post but I can't remember when that had been replaced - probably mid 1950s?  The 'barrier, made of channel rodding was a later addition and I can vaguely remember it not being there in the form you see in the photo so it was probably altered/added in the early 1960s.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, RailWest said:

If that was the Up Starting on the Down platform, then IIRC it was just a straight post.

Agree, it is even visible in a photo of Churston station on sale at Steam Museum in Swindin

https://www.steampicturelibrary.com/stations-halts/devon-stations-churston-station/churston-station-1960-25485799.html

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Don it lasted until Reading reignalling in 1965.   The tubular steel post version in my photo was replacement for an earlier signal with a timber post but I can't remember when that had been replaced - probably mid 1950s?  The 'barrier, made of channel rodding was a later addition and I can vaguely remember it not being there in the form you see in the photo so it was probably altered/added in the early 1960s.

Thanks Mike  The tubular post in the late 50s fits with my memory.  About 64 I  was travelling to Paddington Daily in the school holiday but didn't spot it. Mind you platform 5 was quite busy in the mornings  and I usually met a teacher friend who worked in Slough so I probably missed it.

Don

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Donw said:

Thanks Mike  The tubular post in the late 50s fits with my memory.  About 64 I  was travelling to Paddington Daily in the school holiday but didn't spot it. Mind you platform 5 was quite busy in the mornings  and I usually met a teacher friend who worked in Slough so I probably missed it.

Don

It stood at the east end of Platform 8 but applied to No 6 Bay (between Platforms 5 and 8).  The big water tower (the source for hydraulic power for the station) in the background helps fix the spot.   All totally unrecognisable today apart from Reading Bridge House in the left background which doesn't look much different from back then.

• Agree 1