Hornby CDA roof's

Forgive me if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find anything here..

I have noticed from studying prototype pictures that the Hornby CDA roof is just way oversized/overscale., whilst the rest of the wagon looks ok.. It towers above locos and is just way to high.. Has anyone ever come up with a solution to this other than scatchbuilding..? My thoughts are to file it down..

• 4 weeks later...

Forgive me if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find anything here..

I have noticed from studying prototype pictures that the Hornby CDA roof is just way oversized/overscale., whilst the rest of the wagon looks ok.. It towers above locos and is just way to high.. Has anyone ever come up with a solution to this other than scatchbuilding..? My thoughts are to file it down..

I've picked up two cheap CDA wagons on theifbay recently, I didn't notice the roofs were too high though

I've got some overhead shots of the real ones on my site that might help with what's really there...

(Edit - Link: https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/C-tops-codes/CDA-china-clay-hoppers/ - top down shots near the bottom)

Trouble is, what Hornby has put there doesn't bear much resemblance.

When I was thinking of a way forward for this (for a since long defunct project) my best bet was to resin cast a new top to drop in, it would let you represent the voids that can be seen from above, but the thick hopper body isn't conducive to opening the slots in the end and one side.

No easy answers, sorry.

I've got some overhead shots of the real ones on my site that might help with what's really there...

Trouble is, what Hornby has put there doesn't bear much resemblance.

When I was thinking of a way forward for this (for a since long defunct project) my best bet was to resin cast a new top to drop in, it would let you represent the voids that can be seen from above, but the thick hopper body isn't conducive to opening the slots in the end and one side.

No easy answers, sorry.

As you seem to know your way round CDA's, what period would these be used? http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/51037/R6708-Hornby-CDA-China-Clay-Hopper-Wagon-number-353224

I always thought they were delivered in ECC Blue

Simon

Archived