Upgrading the lighting on a Bachmann Class 66

Dixie Dean

I just added a ESU 21 pin V4 sound chip courtesy of Legomanbiffo to my EWS Class 66.  It's the one which had a switch underneath for the front/rear lighting.  I had to remove the switch to fit the speaker in the fuel tank.

I'm pretty new to DCC, but OK with soldering, etc.  Would anyone on here know what I need to do to control the lighting with the chip, i.e. what connections I need to make.  

I may add further lighting at a later date, e.g. Express module, or similar, but for the time being just having the existing lighting working would be a bonus.

Thanks

Dixie

Dixie Dean. Played for Everton, scored many goals, many by hand, so I am told.

Not going to be much help with your question. I fitted V4 but fitted the bass reflex speaker on the chassis, it needed filing down to fit, I think I had to alter the position of the headlight connection,  turned it over I think.

I have tried the Express Models lighting kit, could not get it to work properly.

Some years back Model Rail did an article on controlling the lighting, turn off the reds etc using a Zimo wired decoder.

I did this conversion, very easy, trouble is I no longer have the loco, neither the article, wish I did.

Maybe some one will be helpful.

In general terms, what has to be done is this:

• Identify the function output pins on the decoder connector (consult decoder maker's manual).  Hopefully they are actually wired to some tracks on the 21pin socket in the loco as that makes soldering easier. 
  • Find the wires which go to lighting in the loco, check that there are resistors in series in the circuit through the LED lights. 
  • Connect one lighting circuit to an output on the decoder.  The decoder outputs are "negative" and the positive comes from the common positive connection (or blue wire).   Repeat for all the other lighting circuits to different outputs on the decoder. 
  • Finally, re-arrange the function mapping on the decoder to work as you want it to (ie. the buttons you want control the lights you want). 

Given the number of outputs on the decoder, you can have separate control of lights at each end (ie. reds and whites independent at both ends). 

- Nigel

Hi Nigel, thanks for that comprehensive reply.  Unfortunately I made one mistake, I think its actually an 8 pin decoder, but that shouldn't be an issue.

What do you mean by check it has a resistor?  How do I do this?  I am a complete loco bashing newbie, so assume I know nothing and hopefully I will be able to follow what you say.  The only thing I have learnt so far is how to install sound chips and speakers, and to do some loco reprogramming such as changing speed settings etc.  Everything else, including lighting is new to me.

Archived