7mm Roof Tiles

Can anyone suggest a source of 7mm '0' gauge roof tiles, I have seen Slaters do them as an embossed sheet and I have used some York modelmaking ones which I feel are a fraction to big. Other than these I'm struggling to find any more, I need them for some terraced houses I'm scratch building where I need enough for a run of around 2400mm.

Cheers

Ian H

Can anyone suggest a source of 7mm '0' gauge roof tiles, I have seen Slaters do them as an embossed sheet and I have used some York modelmaking ones which I feel are a fraction to big. Other than these I'm struggling to find any more, I need them for some terraced houses I'm scratch building where I need enough for a run of around 2400mm.

Cheers

Ian H

Hi Ian,

SE Finecast do a slate sheet, FBS715, which I haven't used, so can't comment on how useful it is. I usually mark out a grid of squares on thin Plasticard then cut strips and overlap them with staggered joints, but for that quantity you might not want to get into that. A couple of suggestions then,

York Modelmaking have recently provided exceptional service for some bespoke stuff for me, they can provide pretty much whatever you need, if you can get the artwork done so much the better (cheaper).

See if there's anything they can do to help?

http://www.yorkmodelmaking.co.uk/community/bespoke-laser-services/

Alternatively we had someone in our Club with a Silhouette cutter who produced slate strips for houses and the engine shed on the layout, again worth considering.

post-18627-0-86711400-1475352373_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-87301400-1475352529_thumb.jpg

This assumes you want slate, it may be you want tiling of various sorts to break up the monotony, the Redutex sheets are good, if not a bit pricey,

http://www.dccsupplies.com/search/results/?search=Redutex

or you might try 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ABS-Embossed-White-Plasticard-ROOF-TILES-Styrene-Plastic-Sheets-HIPS-/281762569803?hash=item419a5b9e4b

Hope this helps

Peter

• Like 1

Hi Allan what is the white stuff you are using in picture 4 and what is going on in pic 5? It looks interesting and I'm curious as to your methods so I thought ask the master!

Steve

Hi Steve.

Just got out of hospital so will answer your questions tomorrow.

Cheers.

Allfan

Right Steve. I've took my pills. I'm back on it !

The white stuff is pollyfila powder which is stippled in with Colron light oak wood dye resulting in a rough, textured surface which is then sealed in with diluted PVA and after this has dried out completely the tiles are very lightly dust coated with acrylic matt black.

It's all a bit messy but very effective.

Cheers.

Allan. 

• 2 years later...

Wills (Peco) so-called 4mm roof tiles are only marginally small for 7mm scale, both the SSMP211 Red Plain Roof tiles and the SSMP217 Fancy tiles being suitable.

Prototype roofing tiles have been a standard size for centuries (since 1477 in fact) 10,5" x 6,5" wide x 0,5" thick, the lap, as laid, varies according to the pitch of the roof.

Hi all,

As I was the one who started this thread I thought you might be interested in what I ended up using for my roof tiles. I found a company that did 350grms dark grey card that I them put through my printer and put an 8mm x5m graph onto, this is then cut in strips of two one of which I cut through. They are then stuck to the roof using UHU glue to which the next strip is then stuck over up to the cut line.

This is one of my buildings which has had the above method used on

post-4401-0-56102400-1544654641_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1